NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coronado PST ?

I'm thinking about getting a PST having had a peek through a couple at star parties and been rather impressed with what I saw :(

I don't know much about this branch of the hobby so I'd appreciate any tips on any essential accessories I'll need to consider. I'm thinking of mounting it on an AZ-3 mount that I've got lying idle at the moment - would that be suitable ?.

My budget would run to the standard PST but not the more expensive versions - is that a major disadvantage ?.

Thanks in advance :(

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, all you need for a PST is something to mount it on - a camera tripod will do - and a couple of eyepieces. Plus a dark cloth to throw over your head, and a large tube of sunblock to protect your skin.

Thanks for that advice. It comes with a 12mm Kellner - what additional eyepiece(s) would you suggest might be useful ?.

From what I've read, simple plossls would be fine - is that the case from experience ?.

Hello John

I bought my PST about 5 years ago for the annular eclipse in Spain. I mount it on a Celestron AZ3 mount which is perfect for grab and go. I took it to SGL4, SGL5 and last years SalisburySP - got good feedback.

I never thought that the 12mm Kellner was very good so I always use my Hyperion Zoom. In saying that the 13mm Ethos gives a fantastic view through the PST so I don't think you need to buy any addition EPs at this stage.

John if you buy the PST or the similar Lunt scope you won't regret it.

Mark

Hello John

I bought my PST about 5 years ago for the annular eclipse in Spain. I mount it on a Celestron AZ3 mount which is perfect for grab and go. I took it to SGL4, SGL5 and last years SalisburySP - got good feedback.

I never thought that the 12mm Kellner was very good so I always use my Hyperion Zoom. In saying that the 13mm Ethos gives a fantastic view through the PST so I don't think you need to buy any addition EPs at this stage.

John if you buy the PST or the similar Lunt scope you won't regret it.

Mark

Thanks Mark :(

Good news about the Ethos - I was thinking that the more complex eypiece designs would be unsuitable.

I think there is a review somewhere on SGL comparing the PST and Lunt scopes - I'll look it up and have a read - I've not considered alternatives such as the Lunt much.

Good news about the Ethos - I was thinking that the more complex eypiece designs would be unsuitable.

I honestly think the simpler types give a better view. The Baader Genuine Orthos work superbly in the PST (and other Ha scopes), the ones you want are 18mm, 12.5mm and 9mm. Most of the time you'll be using something around 12.5mm, that's the one to concentrate on.

Really the PST is very tolerant of eyepieces - even the awful 20mm Kellner that's bundled with it works reasonably well - and a wide field of view is not required, the field will be limited by the 5mm aperture of the blocking filter anyway.

I use a Vixen 10mm with mine. You'll love a solar scope John, the views just change so quickly. I've just been out playing with mine :( Its the best astro investment I've made as it gets so much more use than any other scope, with a grab and go mount you can grab a quick fix even in short cloud breaks :(

Helen

Thanks for the further feedback folks - this is all looking very exciting !.

I'll checkout the Lunt alternative. My budget could extend to a simple additional eyepiece or two but will restrict me to either the basic PST or Lunt 35 - sounds like either will open up a whole new world (star) of observing though :(

Ooh, very jealous. I having read the reviews I nearly bought a lunt last month, before I was told to stop spending money! From the reviews, it seemed that the "sweet spot" of best focus was better in the lunt.

I was given this link as probably the best price at the time Lunt Solar Systems Solar telescopes and Filters from Ian King Imaging

All the above advice is spot on.

I've had mine for 5 years now and use my TV 17mm Plossl most often. The 13mm gives the best balance of image scale and detail IMO but often the sky here restricts the quality of veiw. I do use my 8 and 9mm TS eyepieces in really good conditions though.

Also, using a single polarising filter in the eyepiece does improve disc contrast. Since using the Televues though, the difference is less than it used to be and the level of enhancemnt is also dependent on the atmospheric conditions as well.

In short, get one! You'll only regret that you didn't get one sooner!

John I have just been outside with the PST and tried several EPs. The 12mm Kellner is just like looking through a straw. The image is OK ish but not comfortable. I tried the 13mm Ethos because I know you have one. It was brilliant - sharp and clear. Proms, sunspot and filaments very good.

I attach a photo showing my set up of the AZ3 mount with slow motion controls, an AE sun shield which fits into a dovetail adapter on the mount. I also have a AE sun/light pollution cloth which fits over the sun shield to enhance the view.

A very easy grab and go setup. I don't know what is the better scope between PST and Lunt but I am sure you will make the right decision.

Mark

Excellent

One thing...be SURE to try them out in person...as they vary quite wildly in quality!

Thats useful advice Nick. As someone new to the views that the PST or Lunt 35 offer (aside from the quick star party peeks previously mentioned) what should I be looking for when trying them out that would ring alarm bells ?.

John I have just been outside with the PST and tried several EPs. The 12mm Kellner is just like looking through a straw. The image is OK ish but not comfortable. I tried the 13mm Ethos because I know you have one. It was brilliant - sharp and clear. Proms, sunspot and filaments very good.

I attach a photo showing my set up of the AZ3 mount with slow motion controls, an AE sun shield which fits into a dovetail adapter on the mount. I also have a AE sun/light pollution cloth which fits over the sun shield to enhance the view.

A very easy grab and go setup. I don't know what is the better scope between PST and Lunt but I am sure you will make the right decision.

Mark

Thats a great looking setup Mark :(

Is the sun / light pollution cloth like the things that the old style photographers used to use ? - that would put a smile on my wifes face :(

Thats useful advice Nick. As someone new to the views that the PST or Lunt 35 offer (aside from the quick star party peeks previously mentioned) what should I be looking for when trying them out that would ring alarm bells ?.

alarm bells

1: Focus. Make sure that you can get tack sharp focus with a 2X barlow in place at least. The limb in particular should on a good model (and that's even unmodified) show spicules, and intra/extra focus should not move one way and then the other (sign of astigmatism). Active regions and the surface should be clearly defined and visible/sharp

2: Etalon bandpass. Get a mental picture in your mind (e.g. try a Solarmax 40 or Solarmax 60 if you can) of what a 0.7A bandpass looks like. The LS35 should come close to the SM40 (it's 0.75A) and not be overly bright/washing out surface. A good PST will also match that view (as anyone who's used mine will testify)

3: Sweet spot and tuning. Ideally the disc should show a nice even level of detail in an EP which just fits the whole disc in to view. You'll get some sweet spot where the detail is better, but try to avoid etalons which, when you tune them, show very nasty dark bands, and only give a small amount of disc "on band" (i.e good levels of surface detail)

4: Rust - PST only, older models, if you go second hand...easy to spot (google it for images of what it looks like)

Imagine an all red version of this

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/dmk_sun_prominence.jpg

If it looks like that, (and all red, not coloured yellow as here), then it's going to be a good one!

alarm bells

1: Focus. Make sure that you can get tack sharp focus with a 2X barlow in place at least. The limb in particular should on a good model (and that's even unmodified) show spicules, and intra/extra focus should not move one way and then the other (sign of astigmatism). Active regions and the surface should be clearly defined and visible/sharp

2: Etalon bandpass. Get a mental picture in your mind (e.g. try a Solarmax 40 or Solarmax 60 if you can) of what a 0.7A bandpass looks like. The LS35 should come close to the SM40 (it's 0.75A) and not be overly bright/washing out surface. A good PST will also match that view (as anyone who's used mine will testify)

3: Sweet spot and tuning. Ideally the disc should show a nice even level of detail in an EP which just fits the whole disc in to view. You'll get some sweet spot where the detail is better, but try to avoid etalons which, when you tune them, show very nasty dark bands, and only give a small amount of disc "on band" (i.e good levels of surface detail)

4: Rust - PST only, older models, if you go second hand...easy to spot (google it for images of what it looks like)

Imagine an all red version of this

http://www.telescopes-astronomy.com.au/dmk_sun_prominence.jpg

If it looks like that, (and all red, not coloured yellow as here), then it's going to be a good one!

Excellent stuff Nick - thanks very much :(

I feel reasonably well equipped to find a decent solar scope now and if the views look anywhere near as good as that photo (albeit in red) I'll be very impressed.

I'm usually confident to buy 2nd hand astro equipment but with this purchase, given the variability that is clearly out there, I think I'll go through a reputable dealer for this one.

Completely agree with Nick about trying them out, back when Coronado were in Tucson I went by and tried out five PSTs and there was a noticeable difference between best and worst. Sadly that one rusted up pretty fast...

Dunno what the whole Meade/Coronado situation is these days as I haven't paid much attention, but Steve C at Telescope House was a godsend with the problematic one(s) I had so UK dealer support would be high on my list

Completely agree with Nick about trying them out, back when Coronado were in Tucson I went by and tried out five PSTs and there was a noticeable difference between best and worst. Sadly that one rusted up pretty fast...

I understood that the rusting problem with PST's has been sorted now - or is that not the case ?.

Archived