Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Homemade hiss drive

Lux1

Here id a photo of a hiss drive I knocked together over the last couple of days. It works very much like a barn door but a small innertube deflates over the course of an hour or so to provide tracking. Jupiter has remained in my FOV at 206x for 18 mins so far....

post-20202-133877490198_thumb.jpg

Thank you JAO, I will tart it up abit sometime. I only have a small dobson but it has provided excellent views of the moon, Jupiter and Saturn. I don't mind manual tracking but found that if I went to show a friend a planet it had almost gone or was at the edge of the FOV when they tried to look. I have loosened the schrader valve for escapement of air but really need a slow release needle valve.

I agree when looking at the planets its nice to have a drive. Your solution is very innovative and as I mentioned a relatively rare one I think. Keep us posted as to how you develop and refine the drive.

• 6 months later...

I could never source the right needle valve. I inflated the innertube rested my 'scope on top the platform, aimed at Jupiter and as it drifted away made a small puncture with a pin. This slowed down the drift. A few more small holes and Jupiter remained still.

However, it was a bit hit and miss. I now use a goto!

I may build a better design sometime!

Archived