NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Could someone spare me a compass ?

I know this is probably really cheeky to ask, but I'm currently without a compass and although I have a rough idea of what direction I'm facing, I can't be sure and that really ruins the experience of looking at planets in the sky (because I don't know if I am really looking at a planet or just a star!!). So if anyone had a compass (any old thing, don't care as long as it points in the right direction!) could they please donate it to me ?

If you have a watch or a stick in daylight it's relatively easy to work out the cardinal points. I draw them on the front step in chalk - the missus thinks I'm nuts lol

You can google the stick/watch method - or look at a Ray Mears website :o

Have you got the internet and a comuter, if you have download stellarium... This can help you to identify polaris and ursa major, and how to locat north, and help you navergate the sky.. It will show you the constellations in your sky on that night, along with lot of othe objects ; planets stars and dso

Get a sewing needle, a glass of water and a small piece of tissue paper.

Pass the needle over a magnet (use the fridge door seal).

Place the tissue paper on top of the water in the glass.

Place the needle on the tissue.

As the tissue absorbs the water it should sink leaving the needle "floating" on the surface (you may have to poke the tissue carefully to make it sink).

The piont of the needle will align to face North.

Steve

Don't have a compass?

You can get a rough idea during the day:

1) Sometimes the clouds part and the sun shines in this country. The sun rises roughly SE and sets SW this time of year, and is S at midday

2) Sky satellite dishes point roughly SE

3) If you have a well balanced equatorial mount, release the clutches and the telescope tube will swing until it points to magnetic north

4) only joking on that last one

Michael

Surely the true astronomical way would be to find Polaris aka The North Star? As long as it is visible from your observing site, of course. Until I knew where Polaris was, I had no idea my garden was south-facing... ;-)

If you want to find true north which is where your mount should be pointing, find out what time of the day the sun is due south, stellarium will show you this, and then with a stick in the ground mark the shadow on the floor at that given time and bobs your uncle, true north, this only works in places that have sun, so the UK is pretty **** for this idea unless its the middle of summer :(

Archived