Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33 Narrowband

johnrt

I collected some Ha data on M33 a few weeks ago, and thought at the time "I wonder what it would look like with some OIII added it too?"

Well I finally got chance to have a go last night. There was a low level mist and 95% humidity which meant sitting out blasting my lens every 30 minutes or so with a hairdryer.

Operating a hairdryer in the pitch black garden at midnight is just another in a long line of reasons for my neighbours to give me funny looks when we pass! :o

Details of the image are;

180 mins Ha & 150 mins OIII combined using PixInsight.

I played around with lots of different combination formulas but settled on this one which was (for those PixInsight boffins);

Red = Ha x 2. Green = sqrt (Ha x OIII), Blue = OIII + (Ha x 0.33)

Equipment;

William Optics Megrez 72, Atik 314l+ & Astronomik Ha/OIII filters riding on an EQ5.

Thanks for looking.

5052960840_a12bbdac1c_b.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments. Martin I suspect you are correct.

I don't own a set of RGB filters at the moment, but I will becoming back to this at a later date when I do. The OIII was a "make do" method of getting a colour image, but still, I'm more than pleased with how it turned out.

The OIII filter is in-between blue and green, a teal colour, so you can apply it to both channels to make up a colour image.

I didnt know that, and im glad i asked now :o I might have a go at that, will need a filter wheel first though.

Archived