Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan controller issues

Just wondering if anyone could help with an issue with the controller.

Tonight while out my controller was working fine.

Untill about 20 or so mins ago.

Looked at the screen to see the wording broken and jumbled then the screen went blank and just glowed.

Have had this issue once before and it needed a new controller.

Is this a common fault with the synscan or just some kind of malfunction?

I've had a HEQ5pro for almost four years and a NEQ6pro for the last year and never had any issues with the Synscan handcontrollers.

Usually when I hear of this type of problem I immediately think of power supply issues.

I use a Maplin 12V to 15V car transformer running from 20Ah gel cell battery - always seems to work for me.

Try your mount/ controller on a 5A 240V/12V PSU - see if it comes alive.

Ken

I used to have the SynScan Alt-Az goto mount and I remember my controller doing this once or twice. I was always able to restart it by unplugging then reconnecting the power, but it was a pain in the bottom. It's a little while ago, so I can't say for certain, but I've got a feeling that upgrading to the latest version of the firmware (from Skywatcher's website) solved things. Just make sure you get the alt-az version, and not the equatorial version.

It's powered with rechargeables until i can afford a powertank.

The power supply was firmly connected all night and the batteries have lasted me 6+ hours before.

Last night was less than 4 hours.

The only time the power went off was when i disconnected the power lead.

As for getting the new firmware i've tried powering the handset this morning and still no text appears on the screen. It just lights up red.

It's powered with rechargeables until i can afford a powertank.

The power supply was firmly connected all night and the batteries have lasted me 6+ hours before.

Last night was less than 4 hours.

The only time the power went off was when i disconnected the power lead.

As for getting the new firmware i've tried powering the handset this morning and still no text appears on the screen. It just lights up red.

Your problem is power source. Rechargeable AA batteries give 1.2v, the battery box holds 8 batteries, 6x 1.2 = 9.6volts. The mount requires a regulated psu of 11 -15volts at 1 amp continuous or 12 volts from 8 AA Duracell type batteries. Drop below this voltage and the mount's operation will become erratic and eventually the handset display will stop functioning.

Peter

Agree - the cold can affect rechargables as well. My Nexstar 4SE will hold up with very high power rechargable but only for a maximum of about 6 hours assuming a moderate amount of slewing. Put the old weather on and battery life can drop to maybe 2 hours or less.

Archived