Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Do my clips look big on this???

hi all

It's the astronomer's version of 'does my bum look big in this?' I suppose. When I first saw the clips on the primary of my 6" f11 dob, I though they looked big and are actually bigger than those on my 12".

I may well cut them down if there's likely to be an effect upon performance. Anyone know if such big clips will have an effect on the performance of this scope please? I have never seen this question asked before. I have seen comments about masking off a mirror where eg the edge is chipped but nothing about mirror clips.

Cheers for any comments.

Best wishes

Shane :o

post-17776-133877488689_thumb.jpg

good point Mick - that might be worth a try. I suppose it would easily take the weight of the 6" mirror anyway and with silicone is 'going nowhere' but presumably best to avoid tipping past the horizontal?

also this would prevent the minor movement as you flip from one side of the zenith to another.

I've got an O.O. UK 6" F4 (they don't make them now, F5 is the shortest 6" currently available) and there are no mirror clips at all. The primary is siliconed

to the cell with 3 large blobs, same as the secondary.

The mirror clips in the pic do look very large I think, and could be made much

smaller.

Note : The 6" F4 was sold as a package with a Vixen 70mm refractor and a

Vixen Porta alt az mount, about 5 years ago. I got the 6" ota only from a clubmate.

Makes a good wide field "grab n go"

Regards, Ed.

That mod will be just the job!.. those existing clips would have an effect for sure.. why the heck OO do things like this its beyond me. They make super mirrors, but so let things done on the engineering side

If you do shave them off make sure they are fixed well enough so the mirror doesn't come off during horizontal travelling (eg on the back seat of a car). You'll be suurprised at the effect of vibrations on a long journey to a star party. :o

Archived