Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Example of Pix Insight HDR Wavelet Process

I have had this on demo in the past and loved it then. I recently bought the full version and I'm really impressed with the power of this program. I have just been processing some recent data of M31 and here is a before and after picture of a single pass of the HDR wavelet tool. Really looking forward to gettting stuck into the rest of the tools and glad to see that manual is being done as we speak.

beyondvision-albums-misc-picture6978-pix-insight-hdr-comparison.jpg

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great example

I can't wait to get M42 this year and do the same, I reckon it could handle the core without stacking different exposure lengths as long as you don't burn it out on the subs

I have tried PixInsight on 2 occasions and hated it. I really, really wanted to like it, hence giving it 2 trials, as I wanted a purpose written programme (rather than Photoshop) and it should appeal to my scientific/mathematical view of things. However, I found that the programme almost revelled in complexity with no explanation at all of what the parameters do.

I gave up with 2 trials that I had as I had better things to do with my life - I really just could not get on with it :o.

I am impressed that are able to achieve anything useful - that is a good result and well done.

Paul

Might as well chuck one of mine into the mix :o

HDR wavelets is an extremely useful tool, in conjunction with CCD images it really helps bring back detail that would otherwise be lost in the stretching etc.

Here's my M42 close up.

post-14037-133877489028_thumb.jpg

I have tried PixInsight on 2 occasions and hated it. I really, really wanted to like it, hence giving it 2 trials, as I wanted a purpose written programme (rather than Photoshop) and it should appeal to my scientific/mathematical view of things. However, I found that the programme almost revelled in complexity with no explanation at all of what the parameters do.

Paul

Its much better now, lots of rollover tool tips. The documentation and explanations are all there, just takes a little digging. The more you use it, the easier it becomes. I had 60 days trial too, and it was nowhere near enough to get the best out of it.

It leaves photoshop standing just by the fact that it handles 32bit or 64bit images with ease and the processes can be carried out in full 32 bit floating point mode.

My only issue with HDR wavelet transform is that for my images at least the effect it has across the entire image makes noise control a bit more difficult.

I need to do some tests using masks to ensure it's only working on the object I want sharpened and not doing anything to the background by mistake..

Hi all...

What exposures are you guys using for HDRWT...

Is it something like 5x120s + 5x300s + 5x900s ?

The HDRWT tool is fairly new and I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Thanks.

Ps. PI is all I've ever used...no Photoshop, no Maxium...just PI and I love it.

Hi

Hdr wavlets is not a layering type tool, even though there is a new PI tool to do this for you if you require :o

HDR reveals hidden information in your image , if the information is there i.e. not blown out in you linear ( unstretched image )

Regards Harry

Hi all...

What exposures are you guys using for HDRWT...

Is it something like 5x120s + 5x300s + 5x900s ?

The HDRWT tool is fairly new and I haven't had time to play with it yet.

Thanks.

Ps. PI is all I've ever used...no Photoshop, no Maxium...just PI and I love it.

Hi

Hdr wavlets is not a layering type tool, even though there is a new PI tool to do this for you if you require :o

HDR reveals hidden information in your image , if the information is there i.e. not blown out in you linear ( unstretched image )

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry...

I just inferred multiple exposure times from 'HDR'. Hopefully I will get a chance to check it out this weekend.

Thanks again.

I'm just trying to get to grips with this myself after splashing out. It's a very powerful program but definitely an uphill struggle (though not if you leave everything at default settings). I'm getting there and the little snippets posted here help a lot - thanks very much!

Robert

I have just purchased PixInsight and have spent a few hours with it. I'm sure things like HDRwavelets, DBE and noise reduction will add to the armoury a little but nothing I've seen so far awards it "killer app" status. I have a lot more work to do, after all I've spent 5 years working on PS skills. The dynamic background extraction tool is good for working on an image full of nebulosity with only small areas of background sky, well better than gradient exterminator anyway. In other situations gradient exterminator does the job very well.

HDRwavelets seem to need a very delicate touch. I think you have achieved a good result with M31. To my eye Tim and Harry's M42s have been pushed way too far. Depends what your goals are I suppose, an aesthetically pleasing image or to pull out every little detail that is there served up on a plate.

I like like the way the HDR tool creates a luminence mask, this is something that would take about 1 minute to prepare in PS. I do love using layers and masks in PS.

The sharpening with HDR seems like an edge contrast enhancer similar to using the high pass filter in PS. In PS make a duplicate layer, use overlay as the blend mode and then select high pass more. You can run this a couple of times using a different radius. A high radius needs the opacity turning down. Add a luminence mask and you control the noise. Alternatively, create a layer mask, select hide all and then carefully draw in white over the areas to reveal.

PS costs about 3 times as much as PixInsight but doesn't leave it standing despite 32bit floating point capacity.

BTW, Harry's video tutorials are a great intro to PI. I don't think I would have got it if I hadn't seen those so thanks Harry!

I'm with you on the layers and masks Martin, that's the only thing that keeps me going back to PS.

Pixinsight also enables the user to do multi-layer wavelets on planetary images to just the luminance or chrominance.

Pictures processed with PI in general have a different appearance to those using traditional techniques, and which have been accepted as "the norm". However the different technique shows more detail and reveals more features than before. Whether the newer techniques produce such an aesthetically pleasing piccy is a matter for discussion and subject to personal tastes and expectations I suppose.

Cheers

Hi

I am with you on this and beauty and eye and all that:headbang:

Harry

I

Pictures processed with PI in general have a different appearance to those using traditional techniques, and which have been accepted as "the norm". However the different technique shows more detail and reveals more features than before. Whether the newer techniques produce such an aesthetically pleasing piccy is a matter for discussion and subject to personal tastes and expectations I suppose.

Cheers

Archived