NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Urgent help with EQ5 mount

weareborg

HI all

I seem to have a serious problem with my EQ5 mount. I unpacked it today for the first time since I did my First Light test and when I tried to adjust the altitude only one the bolts will turn. I can lower the head in Altitude, but when I try to raise it, the other bolt will only turn a little.

I have taken the head off the tripod, and looked underneath, and through the centre of the base, where it attaches to the tripod, I can see what looks like a bolt running through the centre. If I try to turn the Altitude bolt that won't turn, this bolt seems to move from side to side. It's as if the bolt has bent somehow. I just can't understand how this could of happened though. It has been safely packed away in its box for the past week or so, and it was fine when I performed my first light.

Can anybody help me with this please?

I will try and see if I can take some pictures to try and show what I mean, but if anybody has any suggestions, then please tell me.

Andy

Hi Phillip

I have even taken the other bolt out completely. With this bolt out, I can move the mount down to as low as 46 degrees or there abouts, by pulling down on the counterweight bar. The head will then go up by pushing it myself to a maximum of 64 degrees, and the other bolt will turn 3/4 of the way round in either direction.

Andy

Hi Andy....firstly dont panic. The exact same thing happened to me ! You can take it back if you want but I managed to sort mine. read the post in the following link

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=4844.msg53603#msg53603

Especially the bit from Radioactive which is as follows -

I had the self same problem with an EQ5 I got second hand I thought it had been caused by tightening down the rear adjuster thread far too much without counter turning the front one what I did was dismantle whatever you must to get a proper access to the threads this meant knocking off the stuck on covers remove the through bolt inside taking care to see where the plastic spacers are located so that they go back in the correct place. once you gain access to the bent thread alll I did was straighten it in situ making sure you do not damage the thread at all so it can be done with a bit of patience hope this helps

I managed to straighten mine by placing a suitable piece of wood on the screw and hitting it a few times!

Not had a problem since and as others have said in the post above...once it is set you dont really have to move it

Hope this helps and relaxes you :)

Be very careful when straightening the bolt in situ - it can be done but you risk damaging the mount casting.

Better to speak to your dealer and ask if he has, or can obtain, replacement bolts.

(They are not difficult to obtain, I supplied two only last week).

Thanks alot guys. Once again you come up trumps. The trouble is, I am a bit scared to start hitting the mount with a hammer and block of wood, considering its only about 2 weeks old.

Andy

Perhaps it would be better to take it back to the dealers and let them do it for you Its obviously a design fault type thing or well more to the point a inferior part they should use better threaded bolts perhaps a decent stainless steel not the mild STEAL pun intended

Good luck anyway

and yes apart from that point I still think they are a very good mount for the money :)

Just an update for you all. I have decided not to try and remove the bolts myself and arranged with my supplier to get the head replaced. So, in came the carriers today to collect faulty head. I'm hoping to get it back for middle of next week, so you can pretty well say that it will be raining.

Thanks for all you input and suggestions guys.

Andy

Archived