NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3rd try at Jupiter

O.k. I am all Jupitered out now as far as imaging goes. I am going to give it a break for a month or so until it is higher in the sky a bit earlier in the evening.

This is my 3rd processed AVI capture using the Mak 127 & Phillips SPC900NC webcam. Took the good advice from you guys and used a 2X barlow and reduced the FPS to 10. This is a stack of about 1100 frames and I tried not to over process the detail this time.

I am pretty pleased with this one as I even managed to catch a shadow of one of its moons and the GRS.

Any and all further advice greatly received.

Regards and thanks for getting me this far,

Tony

1A.bmp

J1A.bmp

Those are trully amazing pics Tony. As a new owner of a 127 MAK, you have made me positively salivate at the thought of producing images like yours. I'll have to have a read through your posts to see how you've managed to capture those.

I was out looking at Jupiter with my MAK last night but didn't manage to get anywhere near as much detail as you did. Can I ask, at what time of night did you take those images? You've certainly given me something to aim for!

Those are trully amazing pics Tony. As a new owner of a 127 MAK, you have made me positively salivate at the thought of producing images like yours. I'll have to have a read through your posts to see how you've managed to capture those.

I was out looking at Jupiter with my MAK last night but didn't manage to get anywhere near as much detail as you did. Can I ask, at what time of night did you take those images? You've certainly given me something to aim for!

Hi Merlin999

Read 'Primer - planetary imaging with a Toucam' located on this forum... absolutely brilliant. The only difference is that I use SharpCap instead of K3CCDTools as the latter seems to hang on my laptop everytime I try to capture AVI's.

I don't use Virtualdub either, but may well play around with that at a later date.

The image you refer to was taken around 11.00pm in my south facing garden. Unfortunately at this time Jupiter was siting right above a streetlight and the full moon was just off to the east so not the best of conditions. This was a 2 min capture at 10fps using the Mak 127 and Phillips webcam. I seem to get better results processing the AVI with Registax 4 than I do with Registax 5, but I am sure this is just personal preference.

I hope you do give it a go as it is a great feeling to get an image you have captured yourself. This is a very affordable way to get into imaging and there is tons of great advice and 'How to's" right here on SGL. I look forward to seeing your results on the forum.

Thanks for looking and for your comments,

regards Tony

HI everyone, I have had my 127 for a few weeks but cannot get any where near the detail shown in these amazing pictures. I am using a Celestron neximage and the supplied 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. All I can seem to get is a fuzzy ball!

Any tips would be welcome.

Is there an easy way that I could check the allignment of my

telescope?

Thanks.

HI everyone, I have had my 127 for a few weeks but cannot get any where near the detail shown in these amazing pictures. I am using a Celestron neximage and the supplied 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. All I can seem to get is a fuzzy ball!

telescope?

Thanks.

Collimation could be an issue, but I would first see in you can come to focus at all. I would first try with a barlow, rather than EP projection (which I gather you are using), I find the latter can be a bit tricky.

You could perhaps test the kit in daytime, which is what I did first time round.

telescope?

Thanks.

Hi,

I am afraid I don't have any experience with Celestron Neximage but from what I can gather it gives about the same quality of image as the Phillips webcam. All I do is to center the object starting with a 32 or 25 eyepiece and then re-centre with a 9mm and finally a 6mm. I then replace the 6mm with the webcam & 2X Barlow and make a minor adjustment to the focus. In the webcam control I initially leave the auto adjust on as this gives a bright fuzzy blob to home in on and then I adjust the gamma/brightness/contrast once I turn off the auto settings. Maybe the bright fuzzy blob you are seeing is down to the software settings as well, but as I said, I am not familiar with the Neximage software so I couldn't swear to it.

Hope you crack it soon... I am sure you will.

Regards Tony

Thanks for your reply Tony. That could well be my problem, as I left the settings on auto.

Becuse of the weather I have only had an hour or so to fiddle about with the set up.

Hopefully we shall have some clear nights soon and I can have another try. I will post any results that are half decent.

Archived