Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter and Io 25.9.10

AztecastroMcJ

Unfortuneatly i missed double/triple transits of Io, its Shadow and GRS,

but got few avi's later on when Io was still close by

not Great result i know, but better than nothing, which is what i've had all week

managed to download WinJupos and followed Rik's Guide to compile Map for 1st time, thx Rik

craterlet @10fps 150 sec

stack 1200/1500 Reg 5.1

more details see pics :)

cheers

James

post-16858-133877486571_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877486575_thumb.jpg

I have a Celestron Nexstar6, should I be able to get images as good as this through it?

I`m sure I`m doing something wrong, but then it could be that my expectations are too high?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark, many thx

yes u could achieve these results with ur Nexstar6,

and the extra inch while not much should help to get bit more detail even

i've had fair bit of practise over last year or so, and read lots of advice tips etc

conditions are most important, followed by focus, and also capture settings are important, and processing ofcourse

try uping the scale by using a x2 or x3 barlow if u haven't done so already altho be aware its not as easy to track and focus Jupiter at longer focal lengths

HTH James

Hi Mark, many thx

yes u could achieve these results with ur Nexstar6,

and the extra inch while not much should help to get bit more detail even

i've had fair bit of practise over last year or so, and read lots of advice tips etc

conditions are most important, followed by focus, and also capture settings are important, and processing ofcourse

try uping the scale by using a x2 or x3 barlow if u haven't done so already altho be aware its not as easy to track and focus Jupiter at longer focal lengths

HTH James

Hello James,

Thankyou for the advice.

I`ve obviously got a lot to learn, not least about the potential capabilities of my scope.

I was considering getting a Nexstar8 to see if I could improve on the images I`m achieving with my scope, but your advice clearly indicates that there is a lot more I could be achieving from the 6 (firstly I did not appreciate that I actually had a bigger scope than yours, but as the saying goes "Size does not matter, its what your able to do with it that does").

I`m really encouraged now, and will start concentrating on getting the best out of what I`ve got, but focus on one element at a time starting with Focus.

I`ve obviously got the equipment, I just need to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks again

Mark

Nice one James! That WinJupos looks like fun! Really thought I was going to bag a beauty Fri night the visibility was so clear could see GRS and Io very clearly on the video screen but the atmosphere was so unstable Jupiter was twitching around like a squishy ball....so frustrating!

Mark your NexImage camera has the same chip as SPC900 so it's basically the same camera. What capture software are you using?

Nice one James! That WinJupos looks like fun! Really thought I was going to bag a beauty Fri night the visibility was so clear could see GRS and Io very clearly on the video screen but the atmosphere was so unstable Jupiter was twitching around like a squishy ball....so frustrating!

Mark your NexImage camera has the same chip as SPC900 so it's basically the same camera. What capture software are you using?

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the advice.

I`m using AmCap which came with the NexImage, and although I`m processing the captures through RegiStax 5.1 (more by luck than any sound judgement!) the original capture material is poor to start with, so the results have not been great.

Mark

I'm not familiar with AmCap but James and myself use VxAstrocapture and Craterlet. Maybe if you post one of your images on here we could suggest where you may be going wrong.

Here is a tutorial for Registax : http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/110593-registax5-1-dbk21-colour-cam-tutorial.html

Stuart,

Thanks for the Software advice, I`ll give them a go.

The following two images are the best I`ve achieved so far -

Saturn using Nexstar6 & 2x Barlow

4664735990_88d1c819a8_m.jpg

Moon using Nexstar6 No Barlow

4625541752_31760c44f1_m.jpg

Both the images were 30second avi`s processed through Registax 5.1

Mark

Archived