NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

will i see uranus with 8" Dob ?

Yes - it's really close to Jupiter at the moment (Stellarium will show you just where) and appears as a star in the same field of view as Jupiter in an 8x50 finder scope.

You need around 150x magnification to show it as a tiny pale blue / green disk - not star-like at all.

if you get Jupiter in the 'top right' of the field and an eyepiece with about a 1 degree field of view (eg a standard 25mm plossl in your scope) then Uranus will be in the 'bottom left' approx. of the same scope view - they are about 0.8 degrees apart at opposition (tomorrow). even at this magnification it will show as a disc and you can then increase the magnification.

the above is for newts of course the view in a refractor will be (I think) bottom right for J and top left for U??

I saw it no problem on friday with my 200p and a 13mm lens (x92), it resolved to a small disk (so wasn't a star) and was bluey green in colour. Seeing Uranus and the GRS on Jupiter (and a moon transit) made for my best night observing so far.

Archived