Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another First Jupiter!

step_hen

I'm sure the forum will be flooded with jupiter images today! Here is my first effort at Jupiter. I have imaged Mars with a Neximage before and Saturn with a DMK, but this is my best planet so far. More AVI's to run through registax later but this is the best so far.

SW 150PL on CG5 with SPC880 webcam and IR block filter

Cheers

Stephen

post-15878-133877482696_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. Forgot to say i used a Tal 2x Barlow to up the image scale. Also tried a 2.5x powermate but results weren't as good, but i think the seeing had worsened by then anyway. Default registax settings and a little tweak of contrast in photoshop.

Very pleased!

I'm sure the forum will be flooded with jupiter images today! Here is my first effort at Jupiter. I have imaged Mars with a Neximage before and Saturn with a DMK, but this is my best planet so far. More AVI's to run through registax later but this is the best so far.

SW 150PL on CG5 with SPC880 webcam and IR block filter

Cheers

Stephen

Would I be right in thinking that you have just recently bought the SPC880 from Morgans??:)

You say you utilised a IR Block filter, is this realy necessary when using a Newtonian reflector. Only reason I ask is that when looking at the IR filters that Morgans are advertising along with the SPC 880 webcams they say they are not needed for Newts. Is this right.

Very good image by the way. look forward to seeing what I can achieve - I have the SW 150P FL750 rather than your 1200mm

Would I be right in thinking that you have just recently bought the SPC880 from Morgans??:)

You say you utilised a IR Block filter, is this realy necessary when using a Newtonian reflector. Only reason I ask is that when looking at the IR filters that Morgans are advertising along with the SPC 880 webcams they say they are not needed for Newts. Is this right.

Very good image by the way. look forward to seeing what I can achieve - I have the SW 150P FL750 rather than your 1200mm

Yes it was one from Morgans, via Dions Price Inflators. I'm no expert but the IR/UV block filter is necessary to cut out these wavelengths of light that the webcam is very sensitive to. Otherwise the image can become 'bloated' looking. A newt or a frac should both suffer to the same degree from IR or UV i would have thought? Also keeps the dust off the sensor!:)

A newt or a frac should both suffer to the same degree from IR or UV i would have thought?

No - even an apo frac doesn't bring IR & UV to the same focus as visual light. Newtonians do (but barlow lenses etc. will introduce chromatic aberration).

UV/IR filtering reduces the smearing due to differential atmospheric dispersion which is present for all objects not at the zenith, when the object is below about 30 degrees this dispersion can be pretty large ... and planets tend not to get very high in the sky when viewed from highish latitudes like the British Isles.

No - even an apo frac doesn't bring IR & UV to the same focus as visual light. Newtonians do (but barlow lenses etc. will introduce chromatic aberration).

UV/IR filtering reduces the smearing due to differential atmospheric dispersion which is present for all objects not at the zenith, when the object is below about 30 degrees this dispersion can be pretty large ... and planets tend not to get very high in the sky when viewed from highish latitudes like the British Isles.

Thanks for that Brian:icon_salut:

That is the first sensible explanation I have heard on this topic:icon_salut::)

Archived