NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starry starry night

Trillian

Last night was awesome. The Milky Way was totally fantastic viewed from Dartmoor. It has been a very long time since I have seen the sky look like that. It was alive. So alive that there seemed to be too much stuff up there!!!! I know as a stargazer it is not really possible to have too much stuff up there (unless it's cloud of course!) but as someone who is still trying to find her way around it was really difficult to tell what was what- just soooooo much stuff!

Got some great views of Jupiter and the moons, M13, HIP80197 and HIP80214, and the double cluster below Cassiopeia. Other than that I was in total bewilderment-totally amazing- repeat performance please tonight!!!!!:D:D:D

Problem with Dartmoor is that we are used to some light pollution. When it is truely dark then the number of background stars can overwhelm the ones we normally see, the constellation stars. I bet Casseiopia was difficult.

Used to look when I was living outside of Yelverton on the edge of Dartmoor.

It certainly was a good night last night. I dont benefit from truly dark skies but even with the LP from Bristol and BIA I could make out the milkyway which has been the first time in a long, long while!

Only used some bins last night, trying to locate Hartley 103P. Unfortunately I couldnt find it but got some good views of M31.

It was the same here, just south of Dublin the skies were magnificent, Jupiter was blazing, the Milky Way stunning and the Cygnus Rift was so obvious. Sagittarius was still above the horizon and some fine views of M22, M20, M8, M23 and M24 were had.

Hopefully a good omen for the new season.

When I got back home I was putting the scope back in the shed in the back garden and when I looked at the sky only the brightest members could be seen, even Jupiter was diminished greatly.

Can we say light pollution?

Agree that last night was fantastic...

Saw the Milky Way for the first time as well ... WOW !

Thought I'd view a few objects with my scope but after a few, I just decided to put the scope aside and just gaze at the stars ... absolutely amazing.

One of those rare nights we get here.

(massaging neck now from looking straight up last night)

Agree that last night was fantastic...

Saw the Milky Way for the first time as well ... WOW !

Thought I'd view a few objects with my scope but after a few, I just decided to put the scope aside and just gaze at the stars ... absolutely amazing.

One of those rare nights we get here.

(massaging neck now from looking straight up last night)

Get a pair of binoculars and a reclining chair outside. Binoculars do not get in the way in the same way as telescopes do. I absolutely love my 15x70 and 10x50 for just scouring the milky way for DSOs.

Get a pair of binoculars and a reclining chair outside. Binoculars do not get in the way in the same way as telescopes do. I absolutely love my 15x70 and 10x50 for just scouring the milky way for DSOs.

Currently it's a fight between some binoculars or a new f2.8 lens for my Nikon DSLR.

Same here in Cambridgeshire, Saturday night the skies was the clearest I have ever seen from my back garden! Needless to say I couldn't wait to do some imaging...

I know what you mean about being difficult to tell what's what. Saw the sky from the south of France earlier this year and I could barely work out a single constellation!

It is strange when you do see a truly dark sky because you then realise what you've been missing. It reminded me of a friend I had who took his new pair of glasses with him to watch the football and almost broke down in tears when he realised he could see the other half of the pitch and didn't have to wait for the crowd at the other end to let him know if a goal had been scored or not.:eek::D

I recently went on holiday to Dartmoor but every night was cloudy :) but I can remember going to exmoor and there were so many stars I couldn't even work out where the plough was!!!:D - happy times!!!

James (...sitting under cloud cover!)

Archived