Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modding finderscope to find sun?

Supay

I have some baader solar film which now forms a lovely filter on the front of my scope.

In order to use the finderscope,can i just add some filter film to the front of that too and construct my own shields from cardboard to prevent glare/blinding myself?

I've seen some very good looking solar shields,but I didn't see any point in spending out when some cardboard would do the job.

Could perhaps also think of using a simple coach bolt with round eye bolted through the top end of the tube with a small "projection" screen a little further down. Find the sun in the main scope, then mark the centre of the eye shadow on the screen and it should be lined up for life then. I know it sounds simple but I use this for finding the sun with my 'flowerpot' solar projector and it works really well. Also, you line it up looking away from the sun.

Just an idea.

John

'Flowerpot'?? do tell........

Sorry, should have explained. Someone once came up with a solar projector (they called it the Solar Gun) which used a telescope to project an image onto a screen from behind - you view the image through the screen from the other side ...rear projection. The downside of this is that you are looking towards the sun to view the image so a development is to use a prism / secondary etc...to bend the image and view it at right angles to the sun. A flowerpot is the ideal thing to hold the back projection material and also, using half a flowerpot, to shield the screen. I'll try and attach a photo to make this clear.

Many apologies if I've now gone off topic and hijacked the original thread. However, my idea for the 'bolt eye' finder is what I use on this projector.

John

post-16058-133877480127_thumb.jpg

All you need is a small hole in your finderscope objective cover cap, cover this by glueing a small piece of solar film and use the capped finder as usual. This mod still protects the finder and the cap can be removed for nightime.

• 2 years later...

I use a bit of cardboard from a box of skimmed milk (no one ever said astronomy needs to be glamourous) and I blu-tak a bolt onto the lens cap to use a 'sundial'. Needs some refinement, but it does the job.

That is just pure genius! Thank you for the tip!

Cheers

Ian

Archived