Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter: The Best of Times

great_bear

That's strange because Jupiter doesn't reach its highest elevation for the UK until 2013. But i guess the disk size shrinks by then. So perhaps the best combination of elevation and disk size happens in 2010.

But if Mars is anything to go by, height in the Sky counts for far more than apparent size.

Ah right... So we're adding in "UK" to the equation.

I figured it must be something along those lines.

I suppose the best thing to do is to fly severely south of the UK on the 21st so you get the benefit of both best elevation and best opposition.

I have been watching Jupiter over the last couple of weeks and the views are just great, managed to see my first shadow transit (of a moon) for over a year last Friday night. Weather is not looking good for the rest of the week, pity!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

With Jupiter being at opposition on the 21st, will Monday night after midnight or Tuesday night before midnight be when Jupiter is at it's closest?

I realise after midnight on Monday will be a better time to view the planet with it being higher.

Jupiter is really spectacular lately, can somebody confirm that it's possible to see one of the moons with the naked eye? I mean to me that is what it looks like but I may be wrong. Isn't that just a bit special if it's the case? I didn't thinkit was normal to be ab to see the moons with the naked eye.

It really does look like it to me though, you can't really see it individually but to the edge of Jupiters glare there does seem to be another point of light so there is an extra patch of glare extending away. Also it is not all the time but I have noticed it twice in the past fortnight, it just struck me as it could be the only explaination for what I was seeing. As I said I'm happy to be wrong about it I just can't think of what else might be close enough to explain it.

I found a article from 1976(lol) regarding seeing the moon with the naked eye.

http://www.denisdutton.com/jupiter_moons.htm

Archived