NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark Sky Site for static caravans?

haitch

I'm in a dilemma...

8 years ago, when me and Mrs Haitch had started producing Haitchlets we decided to buy a static caravan by the seaside (North Somerset - so it's by the seaside at least 2x a day) for weekends away. Back then I didn't own a scope and astronomy was just one of those things at the back of my mind so dark skies weren't really any interest.

Anyway, fast forward 8 years... The kids are growing up, I don't fancy the trek down the M5 on a Friday night, I'm an active observer and like dark skies. In addition the caravan site has become more developed and raised it's annual fees to a level that isn't value for money to me (as I don't tend to use half of what I'm paying for and not very often).

First instinct is to sell it. If I leave it on the site I have to sell it to the owner and get next to nothing for it so I was looking around for other options like taking it off the site to sell it. Then an idea popped into my head...

If I'm moving it off why not keep it and try to find a dark sky site nearer to home to resite it?

So here's my question (I think if anyone knows the answer it'll be you guys on here)...

Does anyone know of a dark(ish) site for static caravans (and might take a second hand one) with an hour or so of the West Midlands? I'm thinking Derbyshire, Shropshire, Mid Wales, Hereford. I'm not looking for heaps of facilities just plenty of fresh air, open spaces and a lack of street lights.

I need to decide on this quickly as it's that time of year when pitch requests and insurance for next year are due. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers guys :o

Thanks Helen. Never thought of there.

Hereford is probably my least preferred out of the places I mentioned as it still entails the dreaded M5 but I am tempted by the idea of having it at the SGL star party location.

We had the same problem, had a static in Heacham in Norfolk for years. They then revamped the site and our caravan was to old and either we upgranded or moved. As the rent went up to around £2k a year we decided to call it a day and basically just gave the van away as it was worthless.

Our site fee has gone up at least £100 p.a. over the last 8 years - many times the rate of inflation. Trouble is all the improvements that are supposed to have improved the site are for the benefit of the touring/camping site. Nothing against tourers or campers but I'm tired of subsidising them.

I just want a quiet little site. Preferably just statics with owner occupiers and dark skies.

Hi Hiatch, my parents have a lodge on a site near Bewdley Holiday Parks | Holiday Homes | Chalet Park Homes | Static Caravan Parks | Little Lakes . I did take my set-up with me on a recent visit but unfortunately due to trees near the lodge my view was limited but on the plus side the skies were dark compared to my current location near Heathrow.

Brett

They all sound very tempting but the biggest problem seems to be finding somewhere that will take a used van onto the site. :hello2:

All the commercial sites seem to just be interested in selling you a van they've already got so they can make a tidy profit. :)

Having thought about it some more, basically all I want is to be able to stick it in a field somewhere scenic with dark skies and connect it to an electricity supply, mains water and drainage.

Trouble is I don't think what I'm looking for exists. :blob10:

Caravan is a 2002 model 32' x 12' 2 bedrooms. Could do with a new carpet in the lounge area but apart from that in good nick. Looking round they cost getting on for £10k to buy but when you sell you're lucky to get £4k less a charge of £500 as they say they won't want to keep it on the site so it'll have to be removed.

Looking like I'll just have to take the hit and put it down to experience. :p

Archived