Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion Nebula

dark star

Last night (Thursday) I had my best view ever of M42 the Orion Nebula. It was well worth staying up to the early hours of the morning for.

When I have seen it before it has been like a faint grey cloud, this time it was like a thick cloud, and for the first time I could see tendrils spreading out from it. It looked magical!

I think it is because since last Winter I have moved to the outskirts of London where the light pollution is not quite so bad.

Also, I got an Intes MK66 Mak which seems to be really good on nebula.

Maks are not only for planets!

Maks are excellent on contrast, congrats on the best-ever view! :blob10:

You're right, it's well worth staying up for. I was out at the Starpad till about 4:30am on Sunday morning with the 16"LB and got my first glimpse of M42 with it. Wow, i thought the 8"SCT was showing me phenomenal views... the 16" was absolutely exquisite. Lots of mottling in the area surrounding the trapezium, and the entire nebula was a very delicate seafoam green. Lovely.

Can't wait to get home, Orions back, it's the one I always show to people when we have visitors and it never fails to impress...

They always can't believe that you can actually see this stuff with amateur gear!!! :blob10::hello2:

Apart from my mum, who said it was cold and "what is it I'm looking at ..." Think I'll just give up there LOL :)

Archived