Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter with 150mm Black Diamond

jarbi

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend I had finally time and decent weather at the same time, so I made some Jupiter AVI-s with the Black diamond 150/1200 scope.

The color version is with a DFK31 camera with 3x barlow, the B/W version is with DMK21 ( ICX-618 modded ! ) with 5x barlow, magnification maybe a bit over the edge. The ICX-618 was really worth it: I could still capture at 30 f/s with an 5x barlow :D. Both images are stack of about 2500 frames in Registax 5.1.

I am very pleased with the performance of this f/8 scope, it gives almost "refractor-like" sharp views. It will certainly be a great imaging scope.

clear skies,

Janos

post-13278-133877473675_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877473677_thumb.jpg

Hi Jarbi,

Sorry for being a complete novice, but with a skywatcher 130 scope would I be able to expect views such as this photograph. Obviously the views won't be exactly the same but will they be anything like this at all? I am a bit dubious as to how good the telescope will be because I've never looked though one before, and don't know what to expect. Also I don't want to waste money on something that won't provide a decent view, if anything at all. Thanks,

Vesper :D

Hi Jarbi,

Sorry for being a complete novice, but with a skywatcher 130 scope would I be able to expect views such as this photograph. Obviously the views won't be exactly the same but will they be anything like this at all? I am a bit dubious as to how good the telescope will be because I've never looked though one before, and don't know what to expect. Also I don't want to waste money on something that won't provide a decent view, if anything at all. Thanks,

Vesper :D

Hi Vesper,

I think you are talking about a 130mm reflector. Newtons perform the best when the diameter/focal length ratio ( f-ratio ) is small, so if you have a 130/900 reflector, you will get better image than with a "fast" Newton scope ( f.e. 130/650 ). The reason is that Newtons with smaller f-ratio have smaller secondary mirror, it means smaller obstacle in the light path.

So, to summarize: with a 130 mm Newton, having small f-ratio you can get almost as good pictures as the one above. The slight diffrence comes from the extra 20mm diameter in my case: more light and more resolution.

cheers,

Janos

Thanks all for your nice reactions,

One more small remark on the Black Diamond: the other day I was looking at the double double ( epsilon lyrae ) with a 9mm Nagler ocular through that scope. Now THAT was a CLEAN split, i never saw it like this in a Newton reflector before :-)).

cheers,

Janos

Archived