Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher guidescope mount

• 2 months later...

I have just received two of these, and I am impressed with the quality. I think it can easily hold 4 kg or even more.

To be able to use it on more places, I have fitted a Skywatcher dovetail under it. I would like to use it mainly for photography , I hope I can test it soon :-).

Cheers,

Janos

I have been wondering about these too. The main advantage for me would be the ease of setting up and taking down compared to a traditional piggyback arrangement. So for me it would be down to something like this or a standard side-by-side bar. But the mounting does concern me though.

If I understand it correctly it is mounted on the main OTA tube ring using a single camera-type stud which, well, just doesn't seem very secure. So I'd be interested in hearing about any real-world experience others have had with this.

Mounting it with a single bolt wouldn't make much sense I think.

To make things more clear, this is what I do ( see pictures below ):

1. Ther is a dovetail fitted under the gudescope mount.

2. I have a Vixen type holder mounted on a dovetail, this can be piggy-backed on my scopes using bolts on the scope rings.

3. I can then put the guide holder on top of it or on the mounting plate for side by side mounting.

Cheers,

Janos

post-13278-133877503737_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877503745_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877503752_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877503758_thumb.jpg

I have one, and I intend to mount my zs66 Apo on it as a guidescope. I think my ED80 might be a tad heavy as a guider.

It seems a very solid mating, and I don't envisage any flexing problems, although that needs confirming in use.

Ron.

I have one, and I intend to mount my zs66 Apo on it as a guidescope. I think my ED80 might be a tad heavy as a guider.

It seems a very solid mating, and I don't envisage any flexing problems, although that needs confirming in use.

Ron.

Ron, I have asked the astroshop how much weight can be on, and they stated 7kg (!). I didn't find this info on the Internet, but the shop has direct contact with Skywatcher. When it proves to be true, the ED 80 is certainly under the limit.

• 2 months later...
I'm looking at one of these as well. Has anyone tested one as a guidescope holder yet to see if there are flexure issues?

Michael,

I had 3 photosessions using this mount already, an Orion 80mm shorttube was mounted on it as guide scope (so a very light one ). I didn't detect any flexure on my frames. In some cases I needed to chase for a better guide star, and it is soooo easy with the guide scope mount ! I didn't have to worry to drop my guidescope, it is sitting firmly all the time :).

clear skies,

Janos

Archived