Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D astro mod.

simon84

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent stuff, family day out has been postponed so no modding as yet. Should happen next week. I'm thinking about just popping the camera on the AZ mount and seeing what I can get with the new CLS filter.

That or spend some time havng a look at Jupiter. Never seen it through a scope before.

Excellent stuff, family day out has been postponed so no modding as yet. Should happen next week. I'm thinking about just popping the camera on the AZ mount and seeing what I can get with the new CLS filter.

That or spend some time havng a look at Jupiter. Never seen it through a scope before.

With the moon so full at the moment Jupiter would be a good option.

• 1 month later...

I don't mean to be a bother, but I've had the opportunity to get a secondhand 1000D at a good price. Until we hear any news about the 383L+ or any possible replacement thereof, I'd like a dedicated astronomical camera, and a DSLR would suit because its what I'm used to. Besides, its not really practical to astro-mod my D3!

I've read conflicting comments here and on Gary Honis' page regarding the piezoelectric cleaning function. Honis, I think, says the function is lost in the modification process, but someone on the first page of this thread said it is retained. Could someone explain which is the case?

Thanks everyone.

If simon is still reading this he may be interested to know that my mod of my 450D went badly and the camera has not worked since. Don't think that there are no risks in this.

I thought you had resolved this, can you re-cap what went wrong?

Still here, I did here of your 450 mod going badly. Did you manage to get anything out of it in the end?

I've decided not to mod for the time being, I'm actually using the camera more for regular photography. I'm now moving over to imaging with an astrotrac as my back cant handle a big apo anymore. I want to pick up an already modded camera to use with that at some point after I've sold the Equinox.

Going over Gary Honis' instructions the mod will go well so long as you prepare properly, that includes a clean area to do it, having all the instructions and appropriate tools to hand, etc etc and most of all it really depends on your ability to do something like this.

For me I've been repairing PC's and laptops for yonks so taking the camera apart seems like a natural progression but even I would be taking it slowly as its alot more fiddly than a laptop. The advantage of being able to use an industry standard clean room did sway me to do it and if I only had a room at home to do it I probably wouldnt have.

I don't have a clean room. Would a few tiny particles really make a huge difference given that I'd be taking flats anyway?

@Thermos - can you take your camera apart and repeat the process? Is it possible that one of the fiddly little ribbon cables is not seated correctly?

well, you'd expect me to say it was bad luck rather than incompetence so I won't disappoint :-)

Yes, I'm convinced that it is one of the ribbon cables that is not seated properly. I think they can be damaged by repeated insertion/removal, especially the small tabs that press them home. I have redone the cables many times and one of those small tabs is now broken. The camera worked once post-mod but only for the one session. It's now in a drawer waiting for me to send it to a repair shop.

• 10 months later...

I'm encouraged by (most) of this thread. I had an orange juice-1000D interface issue last week, whilst travelling back to China, resulting in a rather sticky and non-functional 1000D.

Trev, our ROV electronics whizz, has managed to resurect the camera, but the display isn't working which means adjusting white balance etc. can't be done. It is fully functional when connected to a computer so I'm going to have a do at modding it. An 1100D is going to replace the camera for regular photography.

We have a typhoon approaching, so I may get to visit a camera outlet in town over the next few days to do a spot of shoppery....

• 3 years later...

If simon is still reading this he may be interested to know that my mod of my 450D went badly and the camera has not worked since. Don't think that there are no risks in this.

Old thread I know, but it was the first that came up when I was searching as to whether I should mod my ESO 1000d or not.

Unfortunately my experience was rather poor.

I got about 3/4 of the way through the disassembly when I stripped a screw.  Some of my screws had some glue holding them in place and even though I scraped as much off some of them were extremely stiff and I ended up with a stripped screw, and so I gave up and put it all back together again.  I had also had issues with removing ribbon J.

Page 2 of the instructions tell you know to remove A-I, then page 3 just assumes J has already been removed.  Getting ribbon J out was a hassle as I wasn't sure if it was a flip up connector like most of the others, and I cracked the plastic bit while trying to lift it.

Anyway, I gave up, put it all back together and I now have a lovely paperweight.

Any time I try to use it I just get ERROR 99.

This is not a moan at the guy who does the instructions, I am fully aware that it is my risk, responsibility etc.  I just thought i would mention that it is not quite as easy as some people make out, and some of us do [removed word] it up when trying, so think twice before you attempt it yourself.

• 7 months later...

Hi guys (sorry for resurrecting this old topic). Yesterday I followed Gary Honis' tutorial and modded my 1000D. I worked patiently and everything felt like it went well. However, the camera isn't starting up! Does anyone around here know which specific cable could be responsible for this? I mean, I'm not getting error messages (since the camera is completely dead and doesn't even make a sound when the on/off switch is turned on), so I'm guessing there must be one cable that is responsible for the power supply. I'm certain that the white thing on the upper right corner (the thing with a multitude of black cables) is properly connected. Any ideas? 

I feel your pain mate this happened with my first 1000d mod and I tried for weeks to get it working. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it working again but eventually got it to turn on and give error 99. It's worth opening again and re seating all the cables or even try modding it again so you can retrace your steps and see if you've missed something.

Best of luck

Matt

Thanks Matt. I was indeed planning on opening it later today, and re-doing all the connectors. Also, I just heard that something is loose inside. When I gently shake the camera I hear some sounds that I don't hear on normal Canon DSLR. I'll let you know how it turned out. :smiley:

Weird I had exactly the same issue, I'd lost a shim inside and that was the rattle. At this point I'd gave up and banged it to knock any junk out.

I hate that top left screw inside it's so awkward (sorry I just had to vent that haha)

I hope you get sorted.

Just opened the case again and re-did all the connectors. Doesn't seem to work (although I was optimistic at one point, because there obviously was one which was poorly connected). Tomorrow I'll do the modification all over again, and see whether I accidently skipped some step and look out for loose shims etc. I just hope I didn't cause a short-circuit during the first modification ...

Unfortunately I think this is what I did, I hadn't removed the battery for sufficient time and was pretty sure I saw a small static flash right at the beginning of the mod.

The only upside is someone will buy your broken Camera on eBay for parts, I got just under half what I paid for a second hand.

The camera is alive!  90% of the camera is: the LCD doesn't work. This however isn't a big problem since I can control is with the EOS utility. The resurrection was totally unexpected. First I re-did the entire modification. Then I plugged it into the computer, and all of a sudden Photo Import opened.  Re-doing all the connectors must have helped...

Thanks Matt for the mental support! :)

See attachment for test shot (these are white lights!)

post-46664-0-24450100-1440886140_thumb.j

Archived