Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon EOS 1000D astro mod.

simon84

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the replies. I'm just waiting for the replacement filter to come back into stock and then I will have a go at getting my camera done.

I love doing this sort of thing so I'm really looking forward to it.

As soon as its done I'll let you know how it was.

Took me the length of a F1 Grand Prix (including a T break) to do my 1000D using Gary Honis work as a guide I just removed the filter though. I picked a day after overnight heavy rain followed by good sunshine, the rain/humidity had cleared the air of much of the dust.

I used a fresh clean sheet on my table so I could clearly see where I had put down any screws, laid out in careful order.

Bottom line it is much easier when you do it compared to reading up on the change.

Hi Guys new to this site,

If i was you i would definitely get it done by a person who know what their doin< Not to say that you dont, but get it done by someone esle so that if something goes wrong your covered by warranty..

Thats my opinion on that.

Anyway nice to be here on this website, I am Claudio from Australia, and i am in a Astronomy Group called WSAAG (Western Sydney Amateur Astronomy Group) website if your keen to have a look wsaag.org - Home, drop a hello sometime.

Claudio

Thanks Peter

I've just taken the roof off and about focused up

just got to wait for it to get a bit darker

There is a bit of a breeze and a big moon about but so what

Must put a bit more clothing on

its a bit nippy for shorts and T shirt

Just to say I also used the Gary Honis method and his sheet

Steve

Still waiting to get mine underway, for reasons out of my control. I've read through Garys instructions so many times now I feel I could recite them.

Glad to hear others are having a go. Good advice Pete, I will attempt the same, I was thinking about sheeting off a section of the room where my desk is, and then giving it a good thorough clean and then leave it sealed up for 24 hours. Not sure how well that would work but its got to be better than just going for it.

I have to agree with you Steve, I popped out last night at about 12:30am for a quick glance at the moon and it was rather chilly. I wont mention what I wasn't wearing :D

Cant wait to hear how you get on with your newly modded camera though.

The bathroom apparently can make a ideal clean room. Run the shower on hot for 5 or 10 minutes so you generate a lot of steam, the steam will condence on any airborne particles and drop them out of the air. When the steam clears you have an ideal clean room :D

The bathroom apparently can make a ideal clean room. Run the shower on hot for 5 or 10 minutes so you generate a lot of steam, the steam will condence on any airborne particles and drop them out of the air. When the steam clears you have an ideal clean room :D

That is a good method so long as you have room for a table and chair methinks.

Well my Baader replacement filter has turned up this morning, its so tiny........popping down to Maplins in a minute to get a tube of their silicone adhesive sealant and a d sub connector for my FTDI cable.

My wife and kids are off out for the day at some point this week so will probably do the mod then, not sure I can fit in the bathroom though. Shame, its a really good idea.

I've heard and read good things about the IDAS, be interested to hear your thoughts on it Peter, when you say in body do you mean the same style as the clip in filters? Also could you drop me pm with where you got it and a price for it.

I dont feel so happy now that you have relegated the Astronomik to the 3rd camera :D

I've heard and read good things about the IDAS, be interested to hear your thoughts on it Peter, when you say in body do you mean the same style as the clip in filters? Also could you drop me pm with where you got it and a price for it.

I dont feel so happy now that you have relegated the Astronomik to the 3rd camera :D

The Astronomik is a very good LP filter... The IDAS has narrower cutoff bands around the main LP source wavelenghts and helps with starcolor in images...

I have used a 2" one for ages and love it... they are now supplied as 37mm diameter low profile filters and an adaptor which is mounted in the camera body so no so eay to move between camera...

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/111202-hutechs-answer-eos-clip-ins-mfa.html

Peter...

Peter - I have no problem taking shots at infinity without the filter using a variety of lenses

This is the only thing that is stopping me doing it. I have read also that the macro on lenses will always turn out soft focus, which would not really bother me.

**update**

As i was posting this i came across this thread and it seemed to answer my question.

Linky for anybody else.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/107753-canon-1000d-filter-removed-std-lenses.html#post1469264

Edit: Of I go to do it now, I will post how it turns out.

I guess your linked just clarified what I posted in the thread, as I already said it worked fine with the 1000d filter removal only?

Gald your mod went ok, it get a bit intense when you really get in there.

Yea cause I was not sure if it would work with some lenses and not others, but it worked with my friends two and the stock one i got so happy days.

Glad to hear your mod went ok 3ggman. Were there any problems at any point, screw in an awkward place? Things like that?

I got the silicone adhesive from Maplins yesterday to fix the replacement filter back into the camera. Hopefully it wont be too long until I get it all done.

Glad to hear your mod went ok 3ggman. Were there any problems at any point, screw in an awkward place? Things like that?

I got the silicone adhesive from Maplins yesterday to fix the replacement filter back into the camera. Hopefully it wont be too long until I get it all done.

Nah no problems, one kind of awkward screw but only cause the rest were so easy to get at, just be gentle and take your time, especially when you get down to the image sensor and those bits.

Archived