Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first Jupiter inc GRS

Dave Smith

This is my first proper attempt at Jupiter if you don't count attempts about 10 years ago with a small digicamera through the eyepiece.

Taken using a Phillips SPC900NC webcam through a x5 powermate and FL102S refractor. The final image was then reduced to 50% after being stacked in Registax5 and tweaked in Photoshop.

I was delighted to get the GRS and particularly wanted to see it without the band.

I think the second image is better than the first as Jupiter was higher at that stage.

Dave

post-14654-133877471781_thumb.jpg

Really nice result, compares to what I got with my C8 last time round (bad seeing)

always nice to get the GRS, and a WOS in the NEB. There may even be a hint of the small red spot I just managed to get last time. Just below, and slightly to the right of the GRS, there seems to be a small reddish patch, almost touching the GRS, but it is not conclusive.

Perhaps more aggressive wavelet processing could settle the matter (or it could completely mess things up;))

Archived