Celebrities.

ollypenrice

for me there's celebrities (Cheryl Cole etc) and who cares about them.

and then there's renowned experts and really skilled people, some 'famous' some not. also, you tend to find that the latter are rarely in the news.

for me the latter earn their fame and don't really want it (for fame's sake anyway), the others generally don't earn it and yet want it! (and unfortunately given the low intelligence levels / interest in anything other than soaps and gossip of a lot of the general public they tend to get it).

no celebrity fan here either :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahhh you are all grumpy the lot of you..

John Noakes

The goodies

Stephen Fry

Kylie (sorry, this one may ruin my point)

All celebs who are damn entertaining, hard working and worth keeping IMHO but Mrs Price can be strapped to a dummy tank on Salisbury plain, and all like her...including footballers wifes famous for being married to some over payed ****, and I am sure you will find an improvement in the hit rate for the tanks.

..and anyone who works on the comedy hour on radio 4 is genius...old Humph Lyttelton (god rest his soul) is another example of what a good celeb should be.

So cheer up you moaning old buggers or I´ll take your false teeth away...to quote a certain song!

Olly,

Having just returned from 3 weeks at my humble pied-a-terre in the Limousin (without tv) I can understand, and envy, your lack of celebrity knowledge.

I guess you'd probably not realise if you had celebrities through your door!

My other hobby is West African percussion and I spent last week in a field in Scotland with a couple of hundred fellow drummers. To pass a rainy hour me and some friends played that game where you name a famous person and the next person has to name someone whose first name begins with the first letter of the previous surname. I had never heard of half of the people they came up with, mainly actors and what have you, and they weren't exactly well up on famous scientists, but I was quite shocked that only one of them, out of 6, had heard of Carl Sagan.

Sign of the times I guess,

Col

Wheeee, I'm delighted to see you in a moment of less than scientific equilibrium, Nick! That I agree with every syllable goes without saying...

Olly

PS, two more celebrities of whom I have never heard. They are beginning to outnumber the ones of whom I have heard. (Not difficult.)

I have found a kindred spirit in France!

AAh, Humphrey Littleton! Now if celebs were like him it would be another matter entirely...

A hundred drummers sounds like - maybe more drummers than is strictly necessary???

Olly

Comedy genius and jazz legend... compare and contrast to

K Price

N Campbell

etc etc

Think we can all agree, that "celebs" (for want of a better word) fall into two very distinct categories

Technically Olly could be argued to be a minor celebrity based on his excellent astro photos and holiday destination, which has appeared in national newspapers...carefull olly your moving to the dark side!

I am not opposed to celebrity as such but I'm not a fan of the cult of celebrity. I have on occasion read biographies, history etc and found the lives of the famous to be fascinating but I do find it distasteful the way some peoples lives are served up to us as though it matters. I am not interested in "reality tv" other than serious documentary or gossip mags like hello or ok. But each to there own I suppose, I have heard about a group of people who spend fortunes on equipment, just to stand in the freezing cold on a dark night and look at the sky as they say "theres nowt so queer as folk"

Besides..... if anyone truly worthy of fame turned up (eg: Brian May, who also really knows his astro onions), you wouldnt really reveal that as it would feel like name dropping... which is a bit tacky, so im glad you didnt lower yourself there :)

I have done some gigs with some Big "underground" bands in my time, and with the odd exception most of these "Celebs" were no different from anyone else, its not there fault there popular..

but thats underground..

Nothing like mainstream.

Archived