Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Yes Another Jupiter (well, 3 actually)

TopHouse

All taken tonight, three different mags, no barlow, a x2 barlow, and 2 x2 barlows stacked, that europa shifts a bit! Conditions are far from perfect as everyone knows, I'm starting to think I'm achieving as good as I can get now with my equipment and the conditions, the middle one has a little onion ringing on it but other than that I'm fairly happy. It'll be interesting to compare a 4x imagemate to my stacked x2 barlows when it arrives. The 2 x2 barlows i'm using are Skywatcher deluxe ones.

post-18181-133877470407_thumb.png

Thanks, stacking is registax 5.1. Although the biggest one looks 'soft' it's definitely not a focusing issue, with motorised focuser in slowmo i can focus with my face up to the laptop screen. I think stacking the two barlows is pushing it a bit, coupled with the fact conditions were'nt great. it might sharpen with the imagemate and I'll do a comparison once it comes.

My fave is actually the little one, the original is lovely and vibrant and pin sharp

Those are quite good given the seeing conditions at the moment, Ive tried the last couple of nights but the seeing is dreadful plus I think the IR filter on the HDcam is adding to the mushiness of my images.

I'll give it a go without the IR and see what that brings.

Oh don't mention the blumming trees!! (sounds like john Cleese there!)

To get Jupe at the mo, I have to set up on my front lawn, gets some nice looks from drunks on the way home lol. I have a street lamp directly across the road and a very tall thin tree whose top turns invisible at night!

I first discovered this when jupiter started flashing on and off on the laptop screen one night, first I started cursing the cloud, then looked up and there wasn't any, and i could see jupiter fine, I rebooted camera, restarted software, scratched my head a LOT, re booted the laptop, looked up some more, took out the camera and put in an eyepiece, still flashing! Then saw jupe flashing with the naked eye! The telescope view being at a different angle than me stood up looking, there was a branch of the invisible tree that was moving in the slight breeze that was passing in front of the scope view but not mine until jupe moved over a bit!

I wouldn't normally admit to all that lot but it was your fault for mentioning trees!

That's another one to play around with I think, one good thing about the sykywatcher barlows, especially having two, is that they come completely to bits, so you can do a double tube length, or screw an element straight to the nosepiece etc giving lots of different mags. I do think though that stacking the two is pushing it a bit, not the actual mag but the quality of the elements and the fact that it's two. I'm hoping the imagemate will make a big difference.

'One very tall thin tree' Huh! That's nothing!!! :):mad::)

I live in a small wood!!! :hello2::mad::hello2::mad::p

5 Massive conker trees, 1 average size oak, 1 HUUUUGE Oak (of the Algerian variety)....

I'm dotting all over the place for a quick view of this or that... ;)

Cheers

Your improving already on your first capture, Nice shot, dont stop trying to get better captures though, i never think that im getting all the system can achieve, more what can i do to better the shots, this applies both to capture and processing,

Theres a lot more you can be playing with on the processing front, blueing around The edge can often be helped by using colour noise filter on image analyzer, adaptive noise filter for example, though it does also reduce the planets colour a bit.

Yep that looks like it made by meesoft, make sure your gamma is set to zero, as that can cause onion skin, as can a very bad signal strength, meaning poor histogram level. doesnt like like that here though so im unsure nut ive had it in the past and its always been poor histogram level ( meaning exposure and or gain too low ) or gamma being used a no no on jupiter

I never touch the gamma, except to get that deep sky beauty above lol, and I 'think' wcctrl has gamma 0 in the middle which is where it goes at default, plus gamma was def the same for all 3 images. I'm wondering if it's some clash of gain/shutterspeed setting somewhere. I may chuck the original lens on the toucam and point it at a light source and see if I can recreate it as it 'should' show up in a more high brightness environment. The annoying thing is, theres something at the back of my mind telling me I've seen this before.

Although not in astro I have quite a bit of experience of webcams including live video stream servers which is where i'm sure i've seen this effect. damned annoying.

Archived