NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up : Aldi binoculars are back

Zoom Binoculars £12.99

30393373845236ea406ed8.jpg

Powerful zoom setting: ×10 to ×30 magnification

Poroprism 60mm objective lens

Centre focus for quick focusing

Diopter eye adjuster and rubber eye cups (for spectacle wearers)

High-quality rubber finish

Includes: bag with strap, lens caps, cleaning cloths

Weight: 1138g

Size: 24.3 (L) × 7.5 (D) × 16.2cm (W)

Just out of interest, what are the optics like?

It's just my birding bins cost £400 and they are a very average pair (Minox BRs). Decent ones are more like £900 (e.g. Leica). If you look through anything under £100 they are appalling - very hard to pick out any detail and get accurate colour rendition.

For astronomy, is there less of an issue?

I bought a pair of Practika 7-35x50 zoom binos from Argos back in 2002. Supposedly Bak7 prisms and multicoated. At the time reduced from £59 to £29. I thought they would be handy and a well known photography brand. But were they?

Oh no! they were carp. The eyepieces were like looking into a couple of orthos. No eye relief, 2mm exit pupil and very dark. Colour correction was bleddy awful. All round useless.

That's not to say these are but I wouldn't bet against it. The only decent pair i've got on the cheap sp far was the Meade 10x50 Bak4 binos from Lidl's for £14.99.

Russ

Archived