At last!!

Glad you've decided!! Have you ordered yet?

Yes, me too. Just want something now as fed up with reading reviews. Just when you think you know what you want, you read something that puts you off - very frustrating! :p

Not ordered yet, why do you ask? Have I made the wrong choice? lol

The trouble is, there are so many scopes out there, all with their pros and cons, it's so difficult to choose as you want the best of both worlds, i.e. I want to look at the planets and dso's, but it's never going to happen buying just one scope, so the only soultion is to buy two! :)

Regards

Richard.

Good choice. There comes a point when to keep reading reviews is counter-productive as you just get more confused and delay actually buying one. Once you know which are generally the good brands in your budget then you can't really go wrong. There's not going to be much difference between them, they are all good for starting out.

Good choice. There comes a point when to keep reading reviews is counter-productive as you just get more confused and delay actually buying one. Once you know which are generally the good brands in your budget then you can't really go wrong. There's not going to be much difference between them, they are all good for starting out.

That's very true bish, but my only quibble with the 102 slt is that It probably won't give that great results when viewing the planets. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the scope (mostly good btw) but the good thing about it is the wide field of view so will be good a looking at nebulae etc. and can be used for daytime use (not too bothered about that).

I've looked at a few videos on youtube too, and was put off a bit by a video showing someone looking at the moon using the 102 slt... have a look and see what you think (doesn't look great to me or is this person using a dodgy ep or could it be the weather conditions!?).

Here is the link...

What do you think?? :p

Looks like an iffy video to me, I've a celestron 102, not the SLT model but the one marketed as the Wide View spotting scope. I think is pretty much the same optical wise as the SLT, just doesn't have the goto gizzmo and I've not seen images as poor as the one in the link.

Neil

Looks like an iffy video to me, I've a celestron 102, not the SLT model but the one marketed as the Wide View spotting scope. I think is pretty much the same optical wise as the SLT, just doesn't have the goto gizzmo and I've not seen images as poor as the one in the link.

Neil

Thanks Neil,

I was getting worried then for a mo! :p

Rick,

I took a few photos last night with the 102, with a bit of luck they'll be attached!

Things to keep in mind when looking at these are:

1. They were taken afocal, I just stuck my digital compact up to the eye piece (25mm)

2. It's my first attempt at doing a bit of atro photograhpy.

3. I've had to reduce the original size to upload so may have lost a little.

4. The moon was orange last night in my neck of the woods, nothing to do with iffy lenses or manipulation of the photo.

5. They were taken through double glazing, I was trying to watch Top Gear at the same time!

Cheers

Neil

post-20313-133877470657_thumb.jpg

post-20313-133877470667_thumb.jpg

Archived