Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Report.

BAZ Senior

Tue 10.8.2010

Site: Home, Nottingham. 22.30 - 00.30

SW 300p Flextube F4.8, FL 1500

Seeing 3, Transparency 4.

I got the scope on the backyard early to cool down and got set up around Ten, and waited until it got dark, scanning about with some small pocket bino's.

My first target was M13, this is one of my favourite objects and was one of my first Globular clusters. The other reason for choosing this, is my wife got me a BST Explorer 18mm, and a 12mm eyepiece for my birthday. I wanted to compare them to the Adler 26mm and Hyperion 8mm I already have, these are to fill in the gap between the two existing eyepieces.

The BST's are to be fair very good value for the money (£38.00 each), from Alan at Sky's the Limit.

Their field of view is 60 degree's, and this really works well when looking at M13, the whole cluster being in the FOV. This is true of the Hyperion, but this has a 80 degree FOV.

I did find a small amount of coma at the edge of the field, on both eyepieces, but I would say that 85 to 90 percent of the view is very clear with good crisp images. The colour of the stars were easily apparent, the yellow stars at the outside of the cluster and the hotter blue stars that make up the centre. The Adler 26mm and 32mm both have a lot more coma at the edges.

I know I wear glasses, so if there are any distortion present, it wasn't apparent.

Personally I think the quality of the two eyepieces is excellent, there's a nifty twist up eye cup on both and the action is nice and smooth, they are colour coded with metallic bands around the broadest part, although apparently two of the range have the same colour. Whoops.

After this I found M57, another favourite, I used the 12mm and then added the OIII filter, what a difference this makes, it's like someones turned the nebula on, I could even make out some difference in the shading, one of the sides being darker.

I then went hunting for M27, the Dumbbell Nebula, as I have never seen this in my scope, and I won't claim it until I have found it, and viewed it through my scope. After some swinging around there it was, I didn't think it would be as big as it is, although a bit faint it stands out fairly well due to it's size. I had been looking for something about the size of the Ring nebula, and have probably been in the right area, but didn't see it as I was looking for something totally different. I put on the OIII on this and was easily able to make out the apple core shape.

I then went on to have a look at Jupiter which was rising above a neighbours house, the view was a bit wobbly, but could make out the four moons and it's one belt, It's still a crowd pleaser, and I will always have a look at it, this was the first planet I saw with the old Tasco 50mm when I was a spotty teenager.

Then on to M31, the first time I have seen it with this scope, It's a whopper! Even M110 is easily visible off to one side, this had a good look, Iv'e seen it through binoculars, but this looks fantastic. It's difficult to get your head around the fact that the light hitting the back of my eye left there two and a half million years ago, this some how put's things in perspective.

I then went and had a look around Cassiopeia, with the plan being just taking in the rich star fields Iv'e seen in my Bino's. I came across an open cluster, which turned out to be M103, just to the west of Delta Cassiopeia. I didn't count them, but guess there is around twenty or so stars, not a large cluster, but still well worth a look and remarkably easy to find. I'll have a look at this again when time permits. It was now 12.30, and I have to be up again at Six, so off to bed said Zebadee!

I really enjoyed tonight, it's the first time I have made a plan of what I wanted to see, and this was proven by finding M27, although it took me a while, I found it. I have angle gauges on the dob, but I haven't got a laptop, so racing up and down stairs to the desktop isn't really feasible.

Mrs Baz kept me company, and had a good night with a bag of over a dozen satellites two mediocre meteors, and one huge fireball, which I missed, I always do. It came from up near Perseus and arced down to near Jupiter, with a visible trail that lasted after it had gone. I had to remind Mrs Baz it was past midnight and the neighbours on balance probably didn't want to know.....ssssshhhh!

After all these cloudy nights it was great to get out with the scope, and see the stars again..........roll on Winter!

Well done Martyn! :p It certainly pays to plan ahead and bring a list. :) I'm really interested in locating objects the way you described, but would rather not bring my laptop out to the Starpad. Is there a small-ish 'something' that this technologically :D impaired soul would be able to use to get up to the minute alt-az info for intended targets? Maybe a hand-held thingamabob with a simple astro program in it.

great read! I find M103 to be obviously triangular and much better in the dob than my refractor. I am looking forward to M31 et al too in the dob (and the Orion Nebula later on)

on the subject of filters, I got a 2" Castell Oiii filter for £48 delivered and it's really very good from what I can see - http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-reviews/108143-review-castell-2-oiii-filter.html

Well done Martyn! :) It certainly pays to plan ahead and bring a list. :) I'm really interested in locating objects the way you described, but would rather not bring my laptop out to the Starpad. Is there a small-ish 'something' that this technologically :hello2: impaired soul would be able to use to get up to the minute alt-az info for intended targets? Maybe a hand-held thingamabob with a simple astro program in it.

Just caught this thread.

How about this

http://tonightssky.com/MainPage.php

Maybe print out an observing list and take it to the Starpad with you. No need for further technology. It is great for planning an observing session.

:) Thanks Michael, but i was thinking more on the lines of something i'd heard about a few years ago but can't think of the name of. It was phone sized, and you could buy programs for it, including astronomy programs. Now that i've got the Dob, it'd be nice to have something small that would give me the 'live' Alt/Az figures for any given object from my location. I hesitate to take the laptop out with me... accidents happen, and i need the lappy for work.

Archived