NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

La Nebuleuse du Croissant

ollypenrice

Ha-O111-RGB. Atik 4000 mono in TEC140 apo.

Well this is an oddball and I crave your indulgence over it. I was floundering and added Ha to red and O111 to green and blue. Don't know what to make of it really.

I took the data with Jordan (JCJC) and have no doubt that he will make more sense of the combining than I did. (Wait till you see his version of M27 in this combination! It is quite something.)

Anyway here is a slightly odd croissant...

Olly

966713407_Xv76Q-XL.jpg

Looks good to me Olly. I've found this colour combination works very well on planetary nebs but prefer to use Noel's synthetic green channel action on other targets for some reason. Is the OIII making much difference here?

Looks good to me Olly. I've found this colour combination works very well on planetary nebs but prefer to use Noel's synthetic green channel action on other targets for some reason. Is the OIII making much difference here?

Hi Martin. No, the O111 is bit of a disappointment so far. It turned the red into this rather '1950s cinema seat' faded velvety red. There are some interesting structures in O111 just on the outer edge of the nebula but the O111 in this rendition fails to bring them to light. I tried a barmy use of O111 for luminance and then they showed but the colour was washed out.

Can't wait to get back to my two panel M33 in good ol' LRGB!

Jordan, you'll do better with the data!

Olly

Nice pic anyway Olly, as usual, but I do recall an APOD from a couple of years back of N6888 that had loads of blue in it, I have never been able to gather the same quantity of emission data as that pic has, even with very long subs. I'll see if I can find it.

Great link Tim, thanks. It looks as if I should revist our O111 data. (Jordan JCJC was on on this one as well.) I have just given it a whacking stretch and there is more data than I thought. It seems to form an outer shell so that would be nice to get. I will give it a go.

Cheers,

Olly

Edited later; I tried it but really it is a bit of a mess! I can't make a decent aesthetic image with a lot of O111 so I think I will just call it a day with this Ha dominated version. Can't win 'em all.

spikes lol!

Paulobao has caught that envelope in his pic Olly, but thats the first time i've seen it outside of that apod. Its definitely there, just needs pushing perhaps, I can see the outline of it above :)

It's definitely in the data, I've got a version which shows up the OIII halo but I think it needs turning down a bit. Just been too busy to get round to it.

And like Olly says it's difficult to get an aesthetic image with it.

I think it needs some diffraction spikes :) lol

Jordan

Archived