Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

found m31 and m110

Daniel-K

another two to tick of my list and at the moment its nothing but sky for me tonight im yet to see jupiter beacuase of my house as it faces east and my roof blocks my veiw going for the triangulium galaxy tonight if it stays as it is

Well aren't you the lucky to have clear skies! There's no need to rub it in! :p lol

But seriously though, glad you can tick both of those off your list. I can only make out M31 through my scope. But atleast I can see it... sort of, as a strange smear on my lense! lol

Quick question, when you saw M110, was it above M31 and slightly to the left in your field of view? I only mention it because a lot of people report seeing M31 and M110, but not M32. M32 is much more obvious than M110 and your telescope inverts the view so you need to flip your map.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but I know a few people fall into this trap with the M31 group.

Quick question, when you saw M110, was it above M31 and slightly to the left in your field of view? I only mention it because a lot of people report seeing M31 and M110, but not M32. M32 is much more obvious than M110 and your telescope inverts the view so you need to flip your map.

Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, but I know a few people fall into this trap with the M31 group.

Thats a good point - M110 is further away from M31 and much fainter than M32, apprearing as a faint oval patch of light which is killed by any moonlight / other light glow in the sky. M32 though resembles a fuzzy star and is pretty close to M32 - easily visible although at very low power it can be overlooked as just an out of focus star.

If I can see M110 with my 4" scope without averted vision I generally reckon it's a good night for DSO's :p

Good grab on the pair.

Just a note on M33, this is a huge galaxy, but it has a low surface brightness and this makes it quite difficult to see, it is ghostly looking and easy to pass by. The best method is to slowly sweep the field and you should gather it up. But don't expect to see it like the images in the magazines.

Good luck with your hunt.

Archived