Which dob choice?

Well ive narrowed my decision down to two scopes

what would you choose?

skywatcher flextube goto 300p

or

orion usa xx12i - push to scope

The orion has better optics and is a truss design, but the skywatcher tracks aswell as goto

My budget is 2k, both these scopes leave plenty for eyepeices etc

The SkyWatcher and Orion US dob (newt) mirrors are made in the same factory and are indeed identical. They are both truss design, but the SkyWatcher opens up or closes in a few seconds as the truss tubes are retractable. The Orion has to be dissembled and the truss tubes removed to take it down for transporting or storage.

Also the SkyWatcher is a better buy in the UK.

John

Are you sure it is 94%, just that doesn't seem that good to me. Would have expected something at 98% or higher.:)

If the seconadry is the same then you are down to 88%.:D

they say - enhanced reflecitvity coatings (94%)

I would think the skywatchers were around the 88% mark, hence why i though the orions optics were better

Well according to Orion Optics the Skywatcher is somewhere around the 82-86% mark. OO Hilux is 97%, so if the Orion USA has 94%, that will indeed be an improvement on the SW. But i thought the XX12i and Flextube 300P had the same optics.

Yep, just read it myself on the Orion USA website, 94% reflectivity. Unless someone can find something to say what the SW has, that could mean Orion have specified i higher standard for their scope. Won't be the first time Orion have done that.

Yep, just read it myself on the Orion USA website, 94% reflectivity. Unless someone can find something to say what the SW has, that could mean Orion have specified i higher standard for their scope. Won't be the first time Orion have done that.

All over the web I am reading that the optics in Skywatcher and Orion USA are identical (Synta).

Either the reflectivity has been played down in the Skywatcher, or Orion USA are exaggerating, or like you say, they requested a higher spec.

But I can't find any evidence of it....

Well ive made my choice now, after a lot of reading on the orion and the skywatcher tube ive gone for the skywatcher, mainly for the goto and simple setup.

The orion looks a nice scope, but as some say they do seem overpriced.

Would be interesting to actually find out though how good (or not!) the orions optics are

I've taken another look and the claimed 94% reflective coating is only mentioned on the truss dobs. The solid tubes don't quote any figure for reflectivity.

There doesn't seem to be any real details on these high reflective coatings. They're described as high reflective aluminum coatings with no mention of a protective over-coating.

Maybe someone can dig up some technical info on them.

John

Archived