Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron firstscope Eq60

Evening Everyone

Have the chance of purchasing one of the above for about £35 to allow my fiance to view the stars whilst i use my 150p.

Does anyone have one or can give me an idea as to what there like

Many Thanks

It will give nice views of the moon and the brighter planets (eg: Jupiter and Saturn) although the latter will be pretty small. Open clusters and some of the brightest deep sky objects will be visible as well. Double stars such as Albeiro (Cygnus) and Mizar (Ursa Major) will also look nice.

There will be a very significant difference in the quality of views with it compared to your 150P ....... so you had better have your excuses ready as to why your fiance should put up with 2nd best :)

So what about 102MM (celstron wide view ) what should my expectations be ? due to the weather and the long days/bright nights so far have only managed to get a few brief views of the moon. What awaits me out there...??

Get the damn thing. It is a start!

Winter is coming up so Orion will be available and that comes up pretty good in just about anything.:D

60mm is bigger then most binoculars so no worse, and you can adjust the magnification. You will I guess have a few cheap eyepieces around for her to use.:)

It should show up several of the coloured doubles (lists available), and the brighter Messiers, globular and open clusters.

Recall a post on CN saying that scopes this size were too small to start with. The answer almost immediatly was that although they aren't the scope we should start with, they very often are the scope that we do start with. Bet your first car wasn't an expensive sports car? Astro gear is the same.

It's a scope and good luck.

NeilM. Depends on the light polution, really.:)

But if decent then you could go for all the Messiers.:D:eek:

Then there is a list of coloured double stars that you could work through.:)

Moon and planets, Mars will be a pain but if the gods smile on you you will get some detail.:)

Don't know of a purpose make solar filter but if not you could take care and make one yourself.:D

www.astroleague.org has sections for observing in many areas, if you search through and locate the different sections. Worth a look a sit can give you some ideas.

Archived