SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

taking my scope on holiday

Daniel-K

hey guys just thought i would ask about taking my scope abroad, i have just bought a celstron travel scope from a member on here and just woundering should i carry it through or put it my case. any body with any information on this would be very greatful

thanks guys

Don't whatever you do put the scope in your luggage. Take it in your carryon. After seeing how some of those baggage handlers work, its a wonder anything arrives. As I said previously, I took my little skywatcher dob on as hand luggage and it was fine. Just be sure to tell the customs people when you leave Heathrow that you have a telescope in the bag. They put mine through the scanner 5 times before asking me what I had in there.

Don't whatever you do put the scope in your luggage. Take it in your carryon. After seeing how some of those baggage handlers work, its a wonder anything arrives. As I said previously, I took my little skywatcher dob on as hand luggage and it was fine. Just be sure to tell the customs people when you leave Heathrow that you have a telescope in the bag. They put mine through the scanner 5 times before asking me what I had in there.

Agreed. One airline lost half of a wheelchair of mine. They said they put it in the cargo hold but when i arrived at the other end there was a few parts missing and they have never been found.

I always bubble wrap the OTA annd eyepieces and use a backpack as hand luggage.

tripod can go in hold luggage. NEVER ATTEMPT TO PUT THE OTA IN YOUR HOLD LUGGAGE it will either end up as a broken wreck with glass all over your clothing or when it goes through security cause you all sorts of problems.

Occasionally someone on the xray machine says what are these and another one of them usually says something like oh he must be on of those stargazers (or the equivelent in spanish) and everything then goes smoothly.

they all seem to know what an astrotrac is now but i always carry the instruction manual with them just in case.

I dont think the tripod could handle the weight of a dslr attached to the scope. A simple digicam is fine.

You will love this scope. I've been having fun all day observing all sorts of things from afar and even a few ants wandering around on my driveway only a couple of feet away from me.

Archived