Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Decent 10mm EP?

Hi everyone!

I have been trying to get some good views of the Moon and Jupiter recently however i am becoming slightly annoyed with the quality of the EP supplied with my SW scope.

When viewing the moon the EP will go in and out focus quite quickly and find it hard to focus, as for Jupiter! that's a different story all together! All i see is a white blob! I know that seeing conditions are not the best atm and that it would probably be best seen in Sept/oct but i can't see anything! so after posting around and trying to get some help on what to do, i have been told that one solution that would correct the, blurry images, unfocussing and even clarity is buy a new EP!

Apparently the 25mm EP supplied is sufficient and have been happy with it so far, however i must agree that the 10mm is well,.... Naff....

Does any one know where and what would be a good 10mm EP to purchase? that would work with my scope.

I do not have a huge budget, preferably under £30 and maybe less, ould also be willing to go second hand!

All ideas and comments welcome! Thanks! :mad:

If you look on the second page of the 'for sale' section there's a 9mm GSO Plössl for £18 second hand.

If you want to go new, £30 will get you a decent Plössl. Something like a Vixen NPL, either 10mm (x90) or 8mm (x112) would suit you nicely.

Do you use the Barlow? SW Barlows have a reputation for being rubbish and that may be a source of your problem. If you are using a 10mm with a x2 Barlow you might well have a very blurry x180

If you want an eyepiece without using a Barlow then a 6mm (x150) is about your limit with the scope you have. Small and crisp is better than big and blurry.

If new then try:

365Astronomy

10A Manor Road

Worthing

West Sussex

BN11 3RT

Tel. 0845 5275813

Sounds as if they are close enough to you.

They sell the GSO plossl's at £31.73, variants are 4, 6, 9, 12mm.

Slightly more cost are Magellan Wide Angles, 8mm at £39, looks much like the WO SWAN clone.

If used then just have to look round the for sale postings.

Believe that Scope and Skies sell similar, haven't checked their prices but they can have problems sending stuff out.

Astorix,

If you can stretch to £36.00, the TMB Planetary eyepieces have received some very good reviews, as have the Explorer ED/Paradigms at the same price.

Lee.

Ditto what Lee says. Can't think of a better way to get a new planetary eyepiece for less than £50.

Archived