New to astronomy and need advice

Hello everyone at star gazers lounge,

So i decided to take the plunge into astronomy and need a little help choosing my first telescope. After hours of research i have narrowed it down to 2 telescopes.......

the skywatcher startravel 102 which is a refractor

Startravel - Skywatcher Startravel 102 (EQ1)

and the skywatcher explorer 130p which is a reflector Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P

both of these are just within my budget but im not sure which of these will give me the best bang for my buck.

I have also noticed that the refractor telescopes tend to be more expensive than reflectors, is this because they give better images?

any advice for a newbie to astronomy will be much appreciated.

Daniel.:mad:

Refractors tend to be more expensive, especially APO telescopes, due to the use of exotic glass in their optics. Reflectors are cheaper because of their simpler construction. The 130P reflector would be the one to go for when compared to the Startravel refractor. Refractors, like the Startravel, are achromatic and have chromatic aberration and give a violet fringing around bright objects such as stars, planets and the moon. The more expensive Apochromatic telescopes use more lens elements to correct the chromatic aberration. Reflector telescopes due to their optical design do not have chromatic aberration and give a better image without any false colour compared to achromatic telescopes. The 130P has a bigger aperture {5.1") than the 102 Startravel (4") which allows more light to reach the eyepiece so should allow you to see slighly feinter objects than the 102. The 130P also comes on a better mount than the refractor.

Peter

I agree with Peter - the 130P would give you the most performance per £ spent.

With a refractor lens (which can have 2 or 3 elements) 4-6 surfaces have to be shaped and polished but with a reflector there is just one - the parabolic curve of the primary mirror surface though the smaller secondary mirror does need to be optically flat.

ok i see you are very helpful...as i said i am new to astronomy too..so i need my first telescope.. i can see Danz0o made his choise and i am happy for him but i need do make my choise now..

i want to ask for your advice..

can you help me out i think between the skywatcher explorer 130p which is a reflector and the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian..give me some help my friends..and any other telescope up to 200$ can be apreciated..if you know better ones.. :):)

Archived