Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jupiter 23/7/10

cardconvict

this is the very first time i have dabbled in doing plantary imaging so please go easy, only managed to get 4 avi files before the clouds rolled in and the seeing was bad, maybe i should of left it for another night, can't wait to get out there again and experiment

imaged at f/10

post-20303-133877464674_thumb.jpg

Nice start. Throw in at least a 2x Barlow. Try to image when the planet is highest in the sky (difficult unless you are a night owl at present) Try to get at least 2min AVI's (I aim for 3-4) and keep the histogram fairly full but with a little headroom. Take a while to focus very carefully. Learn to Collimate and let the scope cool to ambient. Lot's more but enough from me at present. (well almost :D ) Keep practising and accept that seeing will always rule :mad:

It looks like you have the same problem I had with mono 5v on f/10 - overexposed/flattened/somewhat strange. It should be much easier to set good exposures at f/15 or f/20. For AVIs get if you can about 1500 frames - should be enough.

I would say you have 2 mins easily on Jupiter. When I'm getting 4 AVIs (IR, RGB) with mono cam it takes about 3-4 mins to catch everything and I can see slight rotation between channels, which can be slightly de-rotated making LRGB image. With color cam which you have you take only one AVI and 2 min stack shouldn't show any drift (except maybe on very high focal lengths).

Yep agree with all that, it really does depend on the focal length i think, the lower it is the longer you tend to get away with. im presently at about 5000 mm focal length and 150 seconds seems ok.

Hopefully someone will correct me if im wrong but thought i read Ian sharp was using 50 secs per rgb channels in barbados on jupiter with great results,

once i go up in power, ( im planing to at some point just aint got the gear yet) i will experiment between 120 seconds and 150 and see what bluring effects are there,

if the effect is very very slight ( which i suspect ) getting extra frames can often produce a better shot especially when someone is trying to push the power further and further ( requiring more gain and hence noise ) But noise is not the only adavantage as was mentioned to me recently. absolutly not, more frames can also = more sharp frames ( instead of slightly off frames ) so of course sharpness can be increased, there will always be a compromise in shooting planets, I tend to try and think of it as, which is the lesser of two evils, very slight rotation, or less noise AND SHARPER stacks, i tend to go with the sharper stacks, as Clayton just mentioned at the focal length hes working at, ( not sure what that is ? ) hes capturing at 3 or 4 mins, i would be more comftable at 3 mins ( at lowish focal lengths ) but maybe hes pulling it off, deconvolution ( motion ) can to a small degree counteract rotaion blur, but only if its slight.

So i personally, guessing the focal lengths your likely to be working at, should easily get away with 150 seconds. as Clayton mentioned likely more. Purists will frown on this, but its results we are after and if its working then who really cares. Just experiment and see 90 seconds on a low focal length and sorry your robbing yourself of preciouse data, more better frames and smoother stacks, if i was at 10.000mm focal length ( too big for my chip ) i might experiment with 90 secs and 120 secs. but thats a huge image. not what we are seeing from many on here

Archived