Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron C14

Hi Guys

Just to let you know that one of these is on ebay at the moment.

Has anyone seen this in the flesh or know anything about it or even used one?

It looks like a beast. It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I'm lucky enough to have one. It's not the perfect grab-and-go scope to put on a high mount unless you want to be a body-builder, but once on the mount, it's a pleasure to use.

Though I doubt anybody will go for the 1000x magnification the seller mentions unless you live on a mountain top in Chile.

Anybody here that will go for it?

/Lars

I also used to have one, they are fantastic visual scopes! Probably the best allrounder for the price. You would need an observatory although I used to set mine up and take down for a couple of months before my Obsy was built.

What would this be like under light polluted skies in a back garden.

Would it be a waste of time?

Would a 16" lightbridge be a better bet.

What do you guys estimate its worth as?

Unless you have an observatory, you will soon get bored of stripping it down every time you use it. IMO a lightbridge would get used more by someone without an observatory.

I guess it depends on how bad the L P is but for looking at the planets it should be ok but it is a heavy scope and the mount will be to so to take it to a dark spot set it up and pack it away it could be a bit of a struggle :)

That OTA is circa 20lbs heavier than the aluminium tube C14 XLT OTA I had. I think you would struggle constantly taking off and putting on the mount on each set-up/takedown, they are long/bulky and heavy OTA's. Saying that if you can manage it or don't mind getting someone to help you they are great scopes. Due to the age of that particular OTA it isn't as desirable as the newer ones, value wise I would suggest around £1200 if the optics/coatings are fine. £1200 though puts you in the second-hand price of a 16" lightbridge or a CPC 1100 XLT GPS (one on this site for £1350) both of which I would tend to go for. All is just my own opinion though, good luck in which way you go.

Thanks Mick & Brinders.

It is a huge Instrument for sure, and I would say too big for the Obs I have my Meade 12"SCT mounted in. I am only just managing to get around the pier with that.

The OTA looks to me as though it could have had a paint job. Certainly the castings look a bit too glossy black, and the Orange coating on the presentaition pic, looks a bit faded compared to the rest of the images.

Perhaps I imagine it though, and anyway, that won't affect performance any.:). Anyone want hazard a guess as to the winning bid amount?. Actually, I think it's size could be a handicap, as far as the numbers who will bid for it.

I would guess at a figure around £1300-£1400 Low, but only because of the size.

Ron.

I love the way he has his finger showing in alot of the camera pictures.

I will get big scope one day but this is the not the right time and I think a 16" lightbridge would probably be a better bet.

Imagine the cool down time on this!!!

Archived