Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My scope collection - rogues gallery

Guest Gneiss

Over the years I have acquired something of a collection, 14 at the last count. The majority of these I bought to review with the intention of selling on - and that is were my plan falls down :rolleyes:

skymax150.jpg

Skywatcher Skymax-150 Pro 150mm (6") f = 1800mm F/12 Maksutov Cassegrain

Note the addition of the helical focuser that gets round the annoying image shift problem these scopes seem pone to.

That's a magnificent line-up. Going back to Circle K, I remember one being on show at Rekab Instruments in Holborn. I had just left school and had joined the BAA where I was assured that all Japanese optics were rubbish. The early Japanese scopes that came to the UK all looked the same with a white finish and often no name at all. the Circle K ones had that and nothing else. I think it was the Rekab man who told me that the K stood for Koyu. (Rekab is Baker spelled backwards because the shop at the corner of Kingsway had originally been the home of the microscope company Charles Baker). That's probably enough ancient history for one night.

As soon as I get a camera. I bought one recently, but it was faulty. Sent it back for replacement, but they said it was discontinued.

I believe the telescope was probably the last 3.5 inch one they made. Ernie Elliot, who ran the workshop, told me it was the last one of the regular line with a brass tube. The rest were going to have alloy tubes with brass ends. I've just dug out a 1971 BC catalogue; I believe the last one they issued before Dudley Fuller took over. A 6 inch equatorial refractor was listed at £550, about the same as the cheapest Synta version today - and it didn't have to travel from China.

Broadhurst Clarkson Telescopes are very nice i had the pleasure of using one at a Public School in Blackpool a few years back observing Saturn, beautyfuly made.

Look forward to the Pic when you get your Camera.

James :rolleyes:

It looks like the Little Mak I had until my som lost it. It suffered a lot from the large central obstruction of - and took about 20 mins to cool down. It was the smallest of a Russian range that all had star maps on the tubes. More of a curiosity than a usable instrument, but, true to its design, no false colours on anything.

Archived