Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

uranus is difficult to find!

SirFoo

Hi all. Trying to view uranus at the moment while holidaying in lanzarote. Finding Jupiter is easy but I cannot see uranus. I am only using bins with 10 mag so it may not be possible. Am I wasting my time?

I didn't spot it in my 10x50's (I didn't try) but I did find it in my 15x70's. I spent a long time, however, cross referencing the view in the Bino's with various star chart apps to ensure I was looking at the right point of light...

Uranus is a mag 5.8, why is it so difficult? Years ago, Uranus and Neptune were in the upper left corner of Capricorn, and i spotted them both with 7x35's (Neptune is a mag 7.8). Having good charts helped... keep trying, you'll get it. ;)

That star partway between them, as seen in the plot above, HIP 417, acts as a splendid pointer at the moment, it's similar brightness, so just hop from Jupiter to that one, then to the next, which should then be Uranus. Not a 'jump out and grab you though'. In my 4" refractor at x75 it was merely a tiny resolved disk with a slightly perceptible green hue

Best of luck ;)

Dave

I have seen it with 10x50's and you can see it has a bluish green colour compared to other stars, the best time is when its passing in front of background stars if you obeserve it one night and make a note of the star field around it, youll see that it has moved if you observe again in a few days

Thanks for all the fantastic advice. I'm now back in Scotland so at the moment no chance of seeing it! The weather and the clear nights will no doubt make it very difficult. I will keep on trying though. My origiinal title was meant slightly tongue in cheek. They do say that Uranus is the butt of many poor jokes!:)

• 2 weeks later...

As Carol says, it is not too faint to see naked eye but noticing any movement would be hard, which is why the ever vigilant ancient observers never did see it I guess. It would be very easy to see but not to identify an any kind of bins.

When better placed a few years ago it was showing a disc in the 10 inch SCT. Not a big disc but not quite stellar either. Good colour, too.

But this week both Uranus and Neptune were not, to any real extent 'non stellar' in apperance in the TEC140. You could kid yourself into believing otherwise but that's nothing new!

Olly

Archived