Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GOTO Mount choice

Carte du Ciel is a powerful star mapping program which can access almost every database available, and show stars down below 18mag! IMHO ever better to use than TheSky V6.

IMHO Stellarium is a pretty planetarium "visual" program, good for novices to see what's up in the sky at the moment and provides a useful representation of the night sky...CdC does even more.

Spot on..

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They would be if you ever want to do any imaging!

HEQ5 is a no brainer...

Okaaay, but the OP actually did actually suggest they were intending to be a VISUAL astronomer? You DON'T like my Netbook and Software ideas either - That's cool too... :)

Forgive me if I don't make decisions as "no brainers" though - Albeit, considering my limitations, you may have a point! Mostly I'm engaging in a little "devils advocacy" here? I seriously don't think throwing a few speculative and unconventional ideas is going to lure newbies into "bad ways"... :D

Just messing about on a Sunday. :)

I wouldn't say that imaging is unlikely in the future but certainly visual observation is my main priority now.

Speaking of iOptron I was looking at the smartstar with goto & GPS but got the feeling it would just be a CG5 equivalent.

I think the problem with the Ioptron mounts is likley to be lack of support - not necessarily from the manufacturer but from the community. If you have a CG5, HEQ5, EQ6 or even a Meade LXD75 or a Nexstar SE the chances are that someone on line has done a strip down guide, has written some software, knows how to tune it, connect it up to this and that etc and can help when it wont work.

So the overall support is likley to be pretty good for the mainstream stuff- the Ioptron route is less likley to have much support from folks as theres fewer of them out there so if your stuck your wholly dependent on the manufacturer.

I do like the look fo their stuff but I'd want to see some user testimonials myself.

I don't know anything about Ioptron mounts, but doing visual with an CG5 Mount, you should have no problems with that 150P, even throw in some unguiding imaging. If you want to get into some serious imaging & want not to be locked into a limited spec of a scope, wandering if the mount would take the weight, then go for something a little bit better.

Sorry for throwing a spanner in the works, but it's my opinion & down to the OP to what he/she can afford... & getting the best use out of it...

Nadeem.

Well fate will determine which mount eventually comes my way but to preempt the purchase whether it be an HEQ5 or a CG5 can anyone please tell me which model of mains converter I should ask for at Maplins.

Is the Heq5 happier at 13.8v then? I'm glad I asked I was going to get one of these.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48908

Speaking of batteries I do quite a bit of caravanning which is where I tend to do most of my observing and my van has an 85ah battery.

Is that going to be ok to use when not at home and if so what cable do I use to connect the battery to the mount ?

Perfect !

As for the battery, maplins have a no of varieties, a ciggy adapter with croc clips for the posts would be great or mod it yourself.

Personally I've given up on the bech supply simply 'cos of the risk of electrocution/damage from dew on the PSU and of course running a cable out to the garden to run it. I use an 85Ah battery

see

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/73621-diy-power-station.html

I want an HEQ5 pro and I would be prepared to wait a while but I will look at the options such as the CG5.

I'm sure I've already asked this question but can't remember the outcome.

Apart from the colour and the SW motors being a bit quieter what are the differences between the CG5 and the EQ5 pro as on FLO they look very similar.

I want an HEQ5 pro and I would be prepared to wait a while but I will look at the options such as the CG5.

I'm sure I've already asked this question but can't remember the outcome.

Apart from the colour and the SW motors being a bit quieter what are the differences between the CG5 and the EQ5 pro as on FLO they look very similar.

The two mounts are basically the same as both are derived from the Vixen GP. Celestron claim a greater load capacity for the CG5 (35lbs) compared to the EQ5 (20lbs), I think the CG5 has been improved recently with better bearings and 2" legs. The goto system on the CG5 is better integrated into the mount rather than the MCB on the EQ5 being strapped onto a leg. Also the software is a little better on the CG5, there is a polar alignment routine to allow more accurate polar alignments. Plus they are only about £20 more than the EQ5, but on the other hand, if you don't need goto, the HEQ5 non goto mount is the same price as the CG5.

Peter

Can I just ask if anyone has come across any cheap deals on laptops or notebooks recently, my wife has decided that as I'm getting a new mount then a new laptop or netbook would be nice too.

Many caravan sites we visit have wifi so the internet would be available.

I confess to knowing even less about computers than I do about astronomy if that's possible :)

I don't need DVD drive I just need it to be wifi enabled and capable of running Stellarium as I am really not getting to grips with CDC.

I appreciate it's a better programme technically than Stellarium but that's just it, it's too technical for me and if I find myself eventually guiding a mount with a laptop or netbook I want to use Stellarium.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Archived