Bright Jupiter

Hey all,

I've been observing Jupiter for the past 2 nights now and while it is truly beautiful seeing it along with its moons, it is very bright. I've managed to get it into acceptable focus with my 10mm EP, but the only discernable feature I can make out while squinting is a reddish band in the lower hemisphere.

Is it always this bright, or does it become darker later into the night? (I've been viewing it at around 1.30am-2.00am) Or again, would getting some sort of filter not be out of the question?

Merci beaucoup.

You could try a cheap ND filter to reduce the glare. But higher power also reduces the glare and details start to pop out a bit more. Perhaps a 2x barlow may help, will give 130x with your 10mm.

Russ is right - you really need to try and tease out at least 150x magnification if you can - that'll bring the brightness down.

Perhaps a 2x barlow may help, will give 130x with your 10mm.

- and if the scope's a 130 not a 130P, you'll get 180x

I was blessed with my best-ever Jupiter views the other day, and could actually make out detail, rather than mere bands. That was very exciting.

Russ is right - you really need to try and tease out at least 150x magnification if you can - that'll bring the brightness down.

- and if the scope's a 130 not a 130P, you'll get 180x

I was blessed with my best-ever Jupiter views the other day, and could actually make out detail, rather than mere bands. That was very exciting.

I setup an Ebay special 130mm f8 for someone last year. Was gobsmacked how good Jupiter looked in their scope. Was expecting something a lot worse. Cheated slightly mind, i took round my own Ultima 2x and a Meade RG 10.5mm Ortho. The 130 took the power without problem. We could see a number of bands and the GRS.

Hmmm, the thing is I've tried it with a x2 Barlow with both the 10mm and a 25mm EP and with the 10mm it becomes quite blurred and difficult to focus, and is still quite bright.

Would it be worthwhile investing in an EP less than a 10mm, maybe a 5mm? Wonder if that would be any better.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to view jupiter this year but I have had quick sightings of venus which as you know is very bright. I have attempted to use a Antares moon filter ND13 (13% transmission I think)on venus which helped cut down on excessive glare. I have no idea if this would help on a bright jupiter or if it is too harsh and will block out any detail coming through, maybe a variable filter is the answer as gletcher suggested?

It's normal to use around 150x magnification for detailed views of Jupiter and at this power it should'nt be too bright. The main problem is that at 1-2 o'clock in the morning, Jupiter is still too low for a really clear view, this will improve dramatically as the year moves on. Reducing the aperture by using the smaller one provided by the end cap can give a sharper image during low or poor conditions but reduction in aperture equals reduction in potential resolution.

Hmmm, the thing is I've tried it with a x2 Barlow with both the 10mm and a 25mm EP and with the 10mm it becomes quite blurred and difficult to focus, and is still quite bright.

Would it be worthwhile investing in an EP less than a 10mm, maybe a 5mm? Wonder if that would be any better.

There could be a few reasons for that:

i) collimation out on the scope

ii) conditions not up to supporting higher power

iii) Jupiter too low

iv) The 10mm eyepiece is not great by any stretch

v) The barlow was not good

Maybe worth checking the collimation first off and then try again. Also, Jupiter is much better in the pre-dawn sky at the moment. Well worth getting up early for 3.30am and observing Jupiter through too 4.30am. It really does gain some good altitude in that time and that far outweighs the brightening sky.

I would definitely look to replace the 10mm. There's some excellent cheapish solutions in the secondhand market that will give far superior results. For instance there's a 9mm Ortho being sold here for only £20:

http://stargazerslounge.com/sale/108027-eyepieces-sale-othos-meade-5000-a.html

That's a quality planetary eyepiece for budget money. You could possibly pair that up with a good value barlow like the Tal 2x.

Hi and welcome to the group ;)

The SW 130 is a very nice little scope but the supplied ep's are a tad naff. The 25mm is acceptable but the 10mm is poor - especially when barlowed it gets very blury. Reducing the light using the end caps is a good idea (especially when viewing a full moon) but some better quality ep's will be the best thing you can do.

Also - Jupiter is viewable right now but you'll be looking through a lot of atmosphere as it's quite low - it will appear to bubble. Around Sept/Oct it'll look great.

Incidentally - the reddish band is in the upper hemisphere - newtonians invert the view - that'll be useful if you're tracking the moon positions using the table in SAN every month.

Hope that helps :)

Hi and welcome to the group ;)

The SW 130 is a very nice little scope but the supplied ep's are a tad naff. The 25mm is acceptable but the 10mm is poor - especially when barlowed it gets very blury. Reducing the light using the end caps is a good idea (especially when viewing a full moon) but some better quality ep's will be the best thing you can do.

Also - Jupiter is viewable right now but you'll be looking through a lot of atmosphere as it's quite low - it will appear to bubble. Around Sept/Oct it'll look great.

Incidentally - the reddish band is in the upper hemisphere - newtonians invert the view - that'll be useful if you're tracking the moon positions using the table in SAN every month.

Hope that helps :)

Yes I've been very pleased with the scope so far but I agree that the EPs are poor. The 10mm was ok for viewing Saturn as it's not so bright but when viewing Jupiter or the Moon (the only 2 I've looked at) when it's barlowed causes some bad blurring.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll definitely look into getting some new EPs and maybe a filter of some description. The pre-dawn viewing is also a good idea although at the moment the only thing I'll see is cloud, haven't seen anything for 3 nights:mad:

Yes I've been very pleased with the scope so far but I agree that the EPs are poor. The 10mm was ok for viewing Saturn as it's not so bright but when viewing Jupiter or the Moon (the only 2 I've looked at) when it's barlowed causes some bad blurring.

Thanks for your input guys, I'll definitely look into getting some new EPs and maybe a filter of some description. The pre-dawn viewing is also a good idea although at the moment the only thing I'll see is cloud, haven't seen anything for 3 nights:mad:

When I was young clouds amazed me, as I grew older and took up flying (gliding) clouds were my friends like giant magnets lifting me higher. Now Ive returned to astronomey I just wish they'd go some where else.

Archived