NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

which webcam available easily today!

The instructions for converting the LifeCam make it look harder than it is. The instructions have a couple of unnecessary steps. The lens assembly doesn't need to be unsoldered, just remove the two screws lift up one side of the lens assembly and it snaps the two leads on the other side. Also don't bother putting the microphone back on as it's not needed.

Here's a couple of photos of one I've just finished. Only had chance to test it out on daylight targets (chimney pots, aerials etc.) but it does capture at 30fps at 1280 by 720 with no problems if you use other capture software instead of the Micosoft.

Also found a use for the standard 25mm eyepiece that comes with a 200P. Remove the insides and it makes a perfect housing for the LifeCam. A bit of flocking wrapped around the camera housing and it's a nice tight push fit. Then add an IR-Cut filter.

John

The instructions for converting the LifeCam make it look harder than it is. The instructions have a couple of unnecessary steps. The lens assembly doesn't need to be unsoldered, just remove the two screws lift up one side of the lens assembly and it snaps the two leads on the other side. Also don't bother putting the microphone back on as it's not needed.

Here's a couple of photos of one I've just finished. Only had chance to test it out on daylight targets (chimney pots, aerials etc.) but it does capture at 30fps at 1280 by 720 with no problems if you use other capture software instead of the Micosoft.

Also found a use for the standard 25mm eyepiece that comes with a 200P. Remove the insides and it makes a perfect housing for the LifeCam. A bit of flocking wrapped around the camera housing and it's a nice tight push fit. Then add an IR-Cut filter.

John

What kind of laptop and program are you using for your .avi capture? I only ask as there's a thread here;

Telescope Reviews: Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD Webcam Modification

The guy who made the tutorial above managed to get 30 fps at 1280x720 but a lot of people seem to be stuck at 10 or 15fps, my little NC10 netbook can only seem to manage 10fps, but it might be due to hardware limitations.

The Laptop is my old Fujitsu with an Athon 64 Mobile 2.6GHz processor and 1/2 Mb ram so it's no high end machine by any stretch of the imagination. I'm using IC Capture 2.1. Apparently not all capture programs will let you run at 30 fps but I had no problems at all. Once I'd installed the software the 1280 x 720 option was right there in the menu.

Yes netbooks are a bit of a minefield when it comes to handling graphics. There's so many different specs.

John

The Laptop is my old Fujitsu with an Athon 64 Mobile 2.6GHz processor and 1/2 Mb ram so it's no high end machine by any stretch of the imagination. I'm using IC Capture 2.1. Apparently not all capture programs will let you run at 30 fps but I had no problems at all. Once I'd installed the software the 1280 x 720 option was right there in the menu.

Yes netbooks are a bit of a minefield when it comes to handling graphics. There's so many different specs.

John

I can also strongly recommend the MS LifeCam HD.

I modified it within half an hour. Went pretty fast without much fuss.

Note tho, that I only managed to get 30fps at 1280x720 in MJPEG mode.

In YUY2 I kept stuck at 15fps. Never managed to get it to work at 30fps.

But still tho. For such little money (around 50 bucks new) you really can't go wrong with this one.

John

How are managing to get IC Capture 2.1 to work with your Lifecam ? I thought IC Capture only worked with Imaging Source cameras.

Peter

How are managing to get IC Capture 2.1 to work with your Lifecam ? I thought IC Capture only worked with Imaging Source cameras.

Peter

IC Capture recognised the LifeCam as soon as it was plugged in and that was it. Just a matter of choosing the options for capture etc.

I'm using the trial version, but I'll be buying it once the trial period runs out.

John

Archived