Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help to choose please asap

Are your 10 & 25 EPs good quality?

The WAs that Williams Optics sell are rather good, and not too expensive.

The thing with EPs is, even the top shelf stuff, whilst being perfect optically, may not suit you personally, so best to attend a star party or open evening and gain first hand experience of as many EPs as you can, then make your choice.

The 25mm that comes with the scope is actually not too bad, it is quite usable for now. The 10mm however isn't that good.

Depending on what you want to look at (moon, planets, DSOs or just everything) something along the lines of a 6mm to 10mm eyepiece would make a good first addition. I'd suggest not spending too much and just getting one eyepiece for now and seeing how it suits you and then go on from there.

The TMB eyepieces (from 2.5mm to 25mm) are very nice eyepieces and are a great buy at the moment and will work very well with your scope. This eBay seller is quite reliable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-25-8mm-58-Degree-TMB-designed-Planetary-eyepiece-/160441810096?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Telescopes&hash=item255b13bcb0

A barlow is also a possibility to use with the 25mm, but not so good with the poor quality 10mm that came with the scope.

John

Just a warning about the Williams Optics SWAN eyepieces....

I bought a 9mm for my 8" Dob and didn't get on with it at all well - in fact the 10mm Skywatcher Plossl I bought (not the cheaper ones that came with the scope) outperformed the SWAN in terms of clarity.

Tele View Plossls are excellent. I have two and they are extremely sharp edge-to-edge.

Can anyone tell me how those TMB planetary eyepieces fare with deep space objects?

Can anyone tell me how those TMB planetary eyepieces fare with deep space objects?

I've just received some of the longer focal length TMB planetaries and hope to get the chance to try them out tonight, if the weather gods co-operate that is. I'm impressed by how well the shorter focal lengths work on lunar / planetary so hopefully the longer focal lengths will be as good on DSOs.

John

I've just received some of the longer focal length TMB planetaries and hope to get the chance to try them out tonight, if the weather gods co-operate that is. I'm impressed by how well the shorter focal lengths work on lunar / planetary so hopefully the longer focal lengths will be as good on DSOs.

John

Thanks for your reply, can you please tell me how you get on with those longer focal lengths?

Thanks for your reply, can you please tell me how you get on with those longer focal lengths?

Will do. Unfortunately they came with an extra large helping of clouds a few days ago, but just maybe tonight.;)

John

I have a 7mm William Optics UWAN eyepiece which I love. But it is rather expensive! I like it for a high power eyepiece because it has a 82 degree fov and as I star hop to find nebulas etc. the wider field of view really helps to locate things.

After first getting to the general area with a low power eyepiece, when switching to an ordinary high power eyepece I often found I had lost what I was looking for!

I have a Skywatcher 150PL f/8 reflector, which is fairly forgiving of eyepieces, but I could not resist the above eyepiece!

It also works very well with my 120mm f/5 refractor.

It is also good on planets.

I can also recommend the Skywatcher Aero 30mm ED eyepiece, which is very good for wide angle views. It is also not that cheap!

I use this in my 120mm f/5 refractor.

I'm with John on the TMB's and Yeti on the barlow. But OP's on a tight budget so to extend the range I'd also mention the 40mm, and 33mm WO Swans s/h which are very acceptable for cheap wide angle low power starter ep's (I have both). The Uwans will be out of budget - nice as they are ;)

Despite the clouds I had the chance to take a very quick look with the 20mm and 25mm TMB with my FLT98 f/6.3. The 20mm and 25mm were very similar in performance, nice and sharp out to about 75% where some distortion started to creep in, but it only became really noticeable at about 85%. and bad at about 95%. Contrast was good though. Glare or light scatter didn't seem to be a problem. As a comparison with the TMB 8mm distortion started to appear at about 85%. Considering the eyepieces only cost £36.00 each I thought the performance was OK. Those were the impressions after only a very brief look but I'll try them out a few more times before I give my final opinion.

John

Archived