Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000D -filter removed +Std lenses??

Merlin66

I've been advised that the removal of the UV-IR filter from the Canon 1000D still allows focusing with standard lenses.

Is this true?

Can you confirm infinity focus on this type of "modded" Canon 1000D????

ken

The filter in the 300/ 350D is 3mm thick, so when removed the focus changes by almost 1mm - hence the problems of infinity focus.

The 1000D filter is only 0.8mm thick, and the change around 0.26mm

Surely someone with a modded (filter removed) 1000D has already tried it with a standard lens??????

Well I have tried a Standard Lens with a Modded 450D with Infinity Focus, it focused fine, I don't see if the filter was removed it would make any difference in Manual Focusing.

Nadeem.

Nadeem,

The back focus distance changes due to the filter removal and many (like all the lenses!) I've tried don't focus beyond infirnity enough to get to focus. I have a 300D with no filter and it definately won't focus at infinity.

I'm hoping this is not the case with a modifed 1000D

Ken

I removed the filter from my 1000D a couple of weeks ago and can confirm that mine will focus OK on stars and manualy focuses OK using the kit lens.

Auto focus is affected as expected.

The 1000D has two filters, the removed one is between the sensor and the front filter which vibrates for cleaning.

This self cleaning front filter protects the sensor when the IR filter has been removed

HTH

Archived