Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Looking for help in the Durham Area

I figured I might get more response if I give a location in the title and post it here.

As per another thread I have been trying for the first time to take images with my Canon EOS 10D at afocal ( I think that's the right term, camera connected directly to the telescope) anyway I have been advised that the reason I can't focus unless I use a barlow is that the main mirror may need moving.

Now as I am still new to all this and I know my Meade 6" reflector is old but I don't want to have a go at this alone. So if anyone is in the Durham area and would be willing to help me please respond to this. I am willing to travel (within reason) and I won't hold anyone responsible for any damage to my scope while looking at this issue.

Thanks for reading.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Try contacting Sunderland Astro Soc - Untitled Document

Have a chat and maybe go along to one of their meetings. You're unlikely to meet a friendlier more helpful bunch. Some one will know just what to do as they have a few keen astro photographers.

Dave.

Hi Stephen,

Try contacting Sunderland Astro Soc - Untitled Document

Have a chat and maybe go along to one of their meetings. You're unlikely to meet a friendlier more helpful bunch. Some one will know just what to do as they have a few keen astro photographers.

Dave.

I second that.....they are a cracking bunch of very friendly folk.

If they know the answer - soon you will know the answer.

They regulalry appear on here so I wouldn't be suprised if they are reading this and contact you soon.

Cheers for the linky. I will drop them a line when I get home form work today. I find there is only so much a book can teach, but getting together with others I find is a much better and more interesting way to learn.

Afocal imaging means that the telescope will have an eyepiece in the focuser, your camera will have a lens attached, and mounted to the telescope with the camera lens almost touching the eyepiece.

The weight will be considerable, and the method of attachment must be reliable. The camera lens will be focused on infinity, and the scopes focuser used to focus the whole assembly.

This configuration is usually only beneficial for high resolution Lunar and/or planetary imaging. The Barlow should not be required, unless the eyepiece used is inserted into it. I would make test without it first.

Ron.

Archived