skywatcher 150p solar?

Hi everyone i would like to try solar imaging, i have got a skywatcher150p and a neximage web cam. could anybody advise me what i would need to take basic pics of the sun, what filters etc etc. if i could use the web cam or not and any other general advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Glyn

Hi, You could buy some Baader Solar Film, and some card and make your own. You could buy some from here Baader Planetarium - Baader Astrosolar Film and Filters and the card from a craft shop,

and here are some instuctions Baader Planetarium - making of an inexpencive filter cell

I made my own one and it works well. You can use the web cam that you have. You will get to see sunspots, like this

WL-Sun-08-07-06.JPG

Of cause you just have to be careful when you view the sun. Also make sure you cover the finderscope when pointing your scope at the sun! - I only relised in time the first time I did this.

Are reflectors safe with solar viewing and film. I was always told (mind you this is about 30 years ago) that you should never use a reflector for solar as the heat can have nasty side effects (like the secondary mirror parting company from its holder or even the mirrors cracking under the thermal stress) is that averted with solar film or do they still get hot inside.

I burnt a hole through my leg once with some carelessly placed binos - lucky really or else had my leg not caught fire the binos would have and that would have been expensive :rolleyes:

I would have thought that it only applied where the full sunlight was directly hitting the primary, focussing the rays back onto the secondary. If a Baader filter is used then 99.999% of the sun light is blocked out making it safe. I have used my Meade 105 ota with a Baader filter with no damage, if there had been any heat build up in the tube the adhesive holding the secondary in place on the corrector would have soften and the mirror would have fallen on to the primary.

Peter

A-B,

30 years ago, there were very few if any "Solar films" available,

The solution back then was to use a small aperture ( hence that stupid little 50mm cover on the main cover of the scope) with a Heschel wedge and ND filter. This limited the amount of heat and light getting in. Another ol' time favourite ( and one I used myself) was to strip the coatngs from the primary and secondary mirrors and use the scope at full aperture. Each uncoated surface reflects around 2% of the light, so only 2/100 x 2/100 = 0.0004% of the light got to the eyepiece.

Thankfully things have changed over the years and the Baader Solar film stops all the harmful energy from entering the scope so there's no chance of heat build up or damage.

Ken

In I think it was may's sky at night prog they said you should not use a reflector for solar viewing, cant remember why it may have been something to do with it causing the secondary mirror to break - surely sky at night arent dishing out advice that's 30 years out of date :rolleyes:

Certainly sounds like it!

(I wouldn't think they would advocate using a reflector with NO :rolleyes::eek: aperture filter)

As said before, with a Baader white light solar film over the aperture both you and your scope are 100% safe.

Ken

I think the advice re not using a reflector for solar viewing referred to image projection which used to be the standard way to view the Sun with a refractor.

As was said earlier, a good solar filter at the front end of your reflector gets rid of 99.999% of the infra red and the UV so you won't damage your scope or your eyes.

Bill

Capping the finder is the good piece of advice they gave.

I'm interested in getting baader solar film, whilst the skies are light a night, but dont want the kids to see me pointing anything at the sun.

I think the advice re not using a reflector for solar viewing referred to image projection which used to be the standard way to view the Sun with a refractor.

As was said earlier, a good solar filter at the front end of your reflector gets rid of 99.999% of the infra red and the UV so you won't damage your scope or your eyes.

Bill

Bill is right, the S@N programme was referring to solar projection. The 150P will be totally fine with a full aperture filter. Just check the filter each time you use it. And also make sure it's very secure. I've seen a homemade Baader film filter blow off in the wind, luckily no one was using the scope. The guy had only done a 15mm rim and was relying on that to hold it in place.

Capping the finder is the good piece of advice they gave.

I'm interested in getting baader solar film, whilst the skies are light a night, but dont want the kids to see me pointing anything at the sun.

....if I got a cheapo reflector to use as my "solar" scope I may be able to change my line to "dont point anything at the sun...apart from this...and only whilst i'm around"

Would something as small and cheap as, for example, the skywatcher 76mm heritage dob, plus baader film give pleasing views of sunspots? is light grasp an issue once baader film is used?

(I'm assuming that even I dont need my goto to find the sun!)

My main solar scope for the last 7 years has been a 70mm Skylux from Lidls with a bit of Baader film on the front and a #56 green filter at the back. Worked like a charm. I would imagine the 76mm Heritage newt would work equally well. Magnification tends to stay low (ish). I never normally use over 50x with the Skylux.

i have the 76mm newt in question (as well as its big brother) it would (and does) work nicely but the focal length is only 300mm so the view would be fairly small, crisp and clear but small nonetheless and not really barlowable (is that a word?)

Archived