NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Time travel!

FLO

I went back in time ten years yesterday when I rediscovered a couple of Astronomy Now magazines from 1996.

One editorial laments the loss of Cluster - a set of four satellites – when its Ariane 5 Launch Rocket went out of control and was blown up by the safety officer. Cluster was to investigate the Solar wind - the work of over three hundred astronomers disappeared in a ball of flame that day! On a more positive note, the other mag' is delighted at the media coverage of SOHO’s launch into space.

All but one of the images in the picture galleries were taken using SCT scopes or regular camera lenses and the recording medium was film. Even so, Nik Symanek delivers an article defending the CCD against the ‘back to basics’ movement who believe there is no substitute for spending hours locating and drawing deep sky objects. “There is virtually no aspect of amateur astronomy that hasn’t been revolutionised and improved by the introduction of CCDs” he said. He goes on to defend the right of astronomy magazines to feature articles on CCDs. “Rather than reject CCDs we should embrace them as the rightful herald of a Renaissance to amateur astronomy” he concludes.

Prices were astonishing! The evergreen Tal1 sold for £249 (today’s price £169) and the Tal2M a stonking £650! (today’s price £399). A konus 4.5” Newtonian on an EQ2 sold for £299 (today £99). Interestingly, SCT scopes have either held or risen in price over the years; no doubt as a result of improvements in technology and specification, particularly with regards to GOTO and GPS. A Celestron Celestar 8 was £1149. Today you might pay £1899 for a Celestron NexStar 8 GPS. In the mid 90s, quality refractors were both rare and expensive with the Japanese Vixen and Takahashi brands leading the way. A Vixen 80mm achromat on a GP mount would have set you back £499, the 102mm £899.

Most interesting, for me at least, was that there were eight dealers advertising back then compared to today’s seventeen! Dealers who have stood the test of time include Beacon Hill Telescopes, BC&F (Telescope House), David Hinds, Sherwoods, SCS and True Technology – I must keep an eye on them and see what I can learn :rolleyes:

Archived