Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Huge fireball @ 1:15am

I was just out in the garden with my dog playing catch (or is it called fetch?) and a VERY nice meteor streaked across the sky. It came from the NW and headed SE. It left a trail that glowed brightly for perhaps 3-4 seconds.

What a cracking meteor.

I had a big meteor go overhead a few months ago and even heard it as it traveled like a whoosh sound, I was quickly advised by the forum that this is not possible (I did here it honest :)).

Anyway it was incredible even if I am now labelled as a nutcase.:rolleyes:

steve

I've also heard about hearing meteors, and I've listened out for the sonic booms of the bigger ones I've seen (never heard any though). I also read that the wooshes you hear are due to something weird along the lines of hearing radio waves(!!). It is a fantastic distance though - watching airliners pass by around 10KM up means that the sound is around 30 seconds behind the plane.

Also, I like how you named the meteor - it would be nice if there was some official system for doing that (for those of us who don't have the patience or the scope for comet searching)!

^ ^ ^ Haha!

Quite jealous mate, damn hayfever stops me from sitting outside for long periods of time at the minute!

I know how you feel. I have slight allergies too. The pollen count for the last week has been HIGH. My eyes are shot. I cant really do much observing. Itchy sticky gluey eyes do not bode well with astronomy.

Archived