NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spotting NLCs

george7378

NLC displays are fascinating and awesomely beautiful. As the wiki link says they occur in deep twilight in summertime. All to do with the angle of the sun striking Earth's upper atmosphere.

Always look North...between 5 and 25 degrees above the horizon is where you'll find them.

I've seen loads of displays, but none in the last few years.

I dont think there is any way they can be forecast in advance

Yet to spot any this year and thats despite the disruption of the alarms for both possible opoirtunities each "night" :rolleyes:

There's sometimes a heads up posted on here if there's a currentyl active display... but that means staying online all night...

Peter...

Here are some pictures I took last year - 14th July ish....

These files are big though.

I think that they are quite unpredictable. As far as I know they are not visible during daylight. They are way too faint.

cheers

Ant

Here are some pictures I took last year - 14th July ish....

These files are big though.

I think that they are quite unpredictable. As far as I know they are not visible during daylight. They are way too faint.

cheers

Ant

Cant see em?

Nothing seen from up here yet this year, although Sun is a little too high just now, will have to wait a few weeks before it gets back the right angle again.

I've attached a couple from July 2007 though. :rolleyes:

Noc-01.jpg

Noc-04.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I'd been patiently watching for some noctilucent cloud activity this year, but hadn't seen anything so far.

However, I was looking out at about 3:25am on Sunday, and I spotted what looked to me to be one or two NLC like tendrils low on the northern to north-northeast horizon. I wasn't entirely convinced this was noctilucent cloud, and certainly not as clear and obvious as last year's fantastic display. So, I thought I'd post the image on here to get the opinion of others with more experience of viewing these, and to see whether anyone else spotted anything similar at that time.

nlc-2010-07-04-03h25m-small.jpg

Best wishes,

Jeff.

It was around last night/this morning.

I captured these at between midnight & 2am, first time I've seen them this year.

ncl-050710-2.jpg

ncl-040710-2.jpg

One looking Northeast with the rising Moon.

ncl-050710-1.jpg

Hi Jeff , Definitely NLC with some foreground cloud above the hedge on the left hand side . Reports of sightings etc are here NLC Observers' Homepage . The evening displays from the UK seem to have been in short supply this year :) . I have at last kicked off my 2010 season on July 02/03 . Some of the piccies are here Flickr: LeoLion2010's Photostream

There may have been a bright display last night but all the sky I had left was a wee sliver due north with an NLC patches glow showing ( at 01:50 UT ) . Good NLC hunting , Len E ;)

Martin/John - beautiful images, I love seeing those ripple style NLC, like looking at wave marks in a sandy blue shore.

Len E. - thanks for the link to the NLC site, some very useful information there.

Best wishes,

Jeff.

Archived