Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Building permission

yesyes

I'm thinking about building an obs, most likely a ROR design, and trying to get this all planned in my head.

One thing that I just thought of is whether I would need a building permission or not. What would be the determining factors?

As far as I know a shed does not require a permission. But what about the pier that's cemented in? And the roll-off roof supports? I guess you don't have them just standing on the ground but cemented in, similar to the pier? What if I were to build 2 brick pillars for the roof support rails?

Did anyone need a building permission for their obs?

Does anyone know a good source of information on that?

Hi, well perhaps if it looks like a shed to most people, then thats whats best to call it. I have an ordinary shed/workshop, but if I look out of the door or window with my binos, then its an observatory. No different in principle to looking thru a sliding roof. Maybe post #2 is safest option however. Regards, Ed.

Yes, you can call it a shed, but the question is if that is what the planning department will call it when they see "2 brick pillars for the roof support rails", if someone queries it with them. They will be able to tell you that, and it is better to find out before you start, than to have them require you to remove it when you have put the time and money into constructing it.

I'd go with calling it a shed with a Pergola attached to it.

It's worth having a chat with someone from the planning office as they know all the loopholes in the local regulations. When I added a 15' by 8' brickbuilt workshop extension onto the garage (same brick and roof tiles as the garage) a few years ago I thought I'd need detailed plans and would have to apply for planning permission. The planning officer however advised one minor change (loophole !) that allowed him to classify it as a lean-to garden shed and approved it on the spot and waived the inspection. :)

John

Its a shed surely, my 10x8 foot shed is on a rather large concrete base. a bit more than your pier, lets face it, it is a temporary non inhabitable structure and no different from putting a wooden summer house up with some fancy brick piers outside. The only bar maybe a covenant in your deeds disallowing sheds to be erected.

Personally I wouldn't give it a second thought and I am very particular about getting the legal aspects of things correct.

Hi, If it looks like a shed to most people, then maybe thats what is simplest to call it.

I have a shed/workshop, but if I look out of the door or window with my binos, then it is an observatory, no differerent in principle to looking thru a sliding roof.

But as others have said, probably best to consult your planning dept to be sure. Regards, Ed.

I wouldn't think that 2 posts concreted in the ground would need planning permission, afterall a pergola is the same basic shape and doesn't need permission. It's mainly area and height they are worried about.

YesYes

The Planning Regs were relaxed a couple of years ago and so long as the building doesn't exceed a certain size which is linked to the size of your house and whether you have any other recent extensions eg aconservatory, and doesn't encroach too close to a neighbour's area, most small/ medium outbuildings don't need planning permission. Interestingly, decking above about a certain height (30cm?) now does!

Have a look here ...

Planning Portal - General Public Home

HTH

Steve

Here is a link that gives some information on typical home projects and whether you would probably need planning permission or not. Local councils do seem to apply / interpret the rules differently - some do, some don't.

Planning Portal - Householders Guide

I would definitely check with your local council planning dept. but note that they cannot give you a legal confirmation of the requirement for planning permission or not, for this you need a certificate of conformity which has to be applied for.

For my observatory I sent all the plans to my local planning dept. and they INFORMALLY said I didn't need planning permission (in writing), got the thing built then had an enforcement notice put on it - all sorted now happily with no changes but be very aware of what you are doing.

All the best, Andy

If building on a slight slope, I wonder if they measure the height of the buildings from the top-of-the-slope end, or the bottom-of-the-slope end....

Mine was taken from the high point - I've got a 700mm drop from back to front

Steve -

Mine was a obs in a deck.

Blue lines= main frame

Red lines= obs base

Green lines= slope - in 2 directions (top right corner is the only bit sat on the ground!)

black lines= additional deck frame and support legs

All the legs are 4"x4" treated timber stood in met-posts on concrete pads

A few pics - http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-observatories/101751-obs-pics.html

Base framewok 6"x2" Obs walls 4"x2"

post-16950-133877456506_thumb.jpg

Archived