Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing report - 11th June 2010

Despite the bright sky I decided to try and view some O'Meare's hidden treasurers/herschel 400 objects in the area between Virgo and Libra. The objects that I decided to view, with the 10" Flextube Dob, were the edge on galaxy NGC5746 (easy to find by the star virgo 109) and the Globular NGC5897 in Libra.

As stated finding star 109 is fairly straightforward and the edge on galaxy is very nearby. Much easier to view than NGC891 in Andromeda.

Finding NGC5897 is more difficult but after locating Zubenelgenubi and moving down to Iota Libra the Glob is close to a pattern of 4 stars of similar brightness and the ghostly globular is nearby. Not easy last night but I could detect the glow.

Main task for the night had been completed so decided to enjoy M13 and M57.However, whilst viewing M13 I looked for the nearby Herschel 400 galaxy NGC6207 (very clear last night).

Finally with the 4" Refractor also mounted last night I tried to split Zeta Hercules but was not successful with any magnification.

A most enjoyable observing session.

Mark

Good stuff. I tend to set myself a challenge to start and then finish on some of the easier more visually rewarding DSO's.

Impressive count on the Messier/Caldwell/HT/400 list. I'm slowly plodding through the Caldwell/Messier and not even looked at HT yet! I am off to Egypt next month and there is a trip to the desert to look at the stars under dark skies with a 12" scope. Should able to see a few lower down DSO's not visible from Dudley.

Archived